Vacant Position – Grade 2 Teacher
The American International School of Lesotho is seeking a highly qualified Grade 2 teacher to educate and guide our young learners. The successful candidate will inherit a class that is organized, structured, and has established systems and routines. This position is for someone with a passion for elementary education, a desire to build each child’s social-emotional, physical, and academic path, as well as an appreciation for multicultural and diverse backgrounds.
The position will commence on November 27, 2023
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Education (Masters Degree Preferred)
Curriculum: Familiarity with AERO Standards; American curriculum and school system
Responsibilities and Competencies Required: The successful candidate
- Understands age-appropriate needs for this developing age group, and can manage a classroom of students with social and emotional learning needs. Provides students with consistent examples, practice and grace as they navigate learning how to appropriately express their feelings.
- Creatively provides an interdisciplinary course of study that integrates reading, writing, analytical skills development in alignment with AERO curricular frameworks for core content areas.
- Collaborates and plans lessons with (co-teacher, teacher assistant).
- Creates a developmentally appropriate, child centered environment that establishes positive student behavioral expectations conducive to all learners needs through structured routines, and positive behavioral interventions.
- Establish classroom structure that values positive relationships through intentional implementation of appropriate curriculum.
- Assesses students’ understanding regularly and takes ownership of making necessary adjustments to instruction based on data, to reach goals despite setbacks.
- Demonstrates understanding for how the subject matter applies in real-world settings and connects to other content areas and relevant standards.
- Can convey content in creative and engaging ways that align to standards.
- Scaffolds and differentiates instruction in order for all students to do complex thinking and rigorous academic work.
- Uses instructional practices that challenge, motivate, and engages all students, and facilitates equitable, active student participation.
- Builds a productive learning environment where every student participates and is valued as part of the class community.
- Minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience – Only candidates with experience will be considered
Please address your cover letter, curriculum vitae with contact details of two references, and all inquiries for this position to:
Kayla Dorsey-Twumasi, Director
Subject Line: Grade 2 Position-AISL
Deadline: October 2, 2023
Applications must be sent as an email attachment in PDF format
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted