We’re looking for a freelance Front-End Developer to help out one of the best firms in the do-gooder business.
The right person for the role is a seasoned front-end developer, available on contract approximately 5-10 hours per month (some months could be zero, other months could be much higher), has availability for last-minute projects and edits with a tight turnaround, and is okay with the majority of your working hours taking place between 9am and 6pm ET. You must be available in a timezone that overlaps with a timezone in the continental United States.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run digital fundraising, membership, and advocacy programs for our clients. Lots of politically progressive groups like Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, and PETA. Cultural organizations we love, like the American Museum of Natural History. And many causes that are working in the most dire situations in the world such as the American Red Cross and Oxfam America.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to find, recruit, and retain supporters in order to raise revenue, win campaigns, and build brand recognition and loyalty for our clients.
- Critical to our success is clean, compelling, cutting-edge, user-centered design.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Working with our designers, strategists, and other developers to create fresh and engaging web products.
- Collaborating with our data and web teams to conceptualize and implement website tests that optimize the experience for the hundreds of thousands of visitors spread across our many clients.
- Working within non-profit CRMs to create campaign-specific pages, donation forms, advocacy actions, and templates.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- Expertise in HTML and CSS.
- Experience with non-profit CRM solutions such as Blackbaud Convio/Luminate, EveryAction, ActionKit, Engaging Networks, Pardot, and/or Salsa.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Drupal and/or other CMS platforms.
- Ability to prioritizes web standards and usability in their work and stay on top of the latest and greatest development practices.
- Experience working with APIs to produce powerful and engaging interfaces.
- Ability to choose the right tools based on requirements and availability with limited oversight.
- Ability to faithfully transform mockups and wireframes into working web products while adding their own bit of flare based on their unique knowledge as a front-end developer.
- Comfort working with server-side technology (like PHP) when the need arises.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively – soliciting ideas, seeing each other’s perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience with MySQL or other SQL-based relational databases for web application data storage.
- Experience working for nonprofits, electoral campaigns, and/or other issue campaigns.
The hourly rate for this role is $100.
The fine print:
You must be available in a timezone that overlaps with a timezone in the continental United States.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.