Lesotho Electricity Generation Company (LEGCO) is a statutory body registered under Companies Act of 2011 registration number 70536 to manage electricity generation in Lesotho. The mandate of LEGCO is to ensure that Lesotho is self sufficient in its power supply, starting with solar generation plant at Ha-Ramarothole Mafeteng. LEGCO invites applications for suitably qualified candidates to fill the following positions on a fixed term contract;
- Environment, Occupational Health and Safety Officer.
Reporting to the CEO, the main responsibilities are to:
- Provide technical expertise on key issues related to environmental and social impact assessment and sustainability risks in the design, preparation, implementation and supervision of project operations taking into consideration standard practices;
- Advice on and communicate environmental issues, regulatory requirements and other relevant issues to technical staff, regulatory authorities and the public;
- Establish, support and supervise the implementation of environmental and social safeguard processes, based on, but not limited to, the findings of the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and environmental management instruments such as Social and Environmental Impact Assessment (SEIA);
- Lead, identify, and report on activities with high safeguards sensitivity as well as ensuring that magnitude and significance of risks are minimized;
- Work with other safeguards teams to ensure that appropriate resources and capacity are deployed to effectively cover the safeguards documents ( SEIA) and (ESMF) of the sub-projects;
- Lead monitoring of safeguards policy compliance of Lesotho Electricity Generation Company (LEGCO) and Ramarothole Solar Power Project during implementation;
- Design and incorporate into the safeguards plans and sub-project, effective and feasible measures to avoid, minimize, and mitigate the adverse environmental and social impacts, and draft relevant project processing documentation;
- Implement measures that will safeguard communities taking into consideration their social welfare and safety;
- Supervise activities to ensure implementation of mitigation measures;
- Undertake internal and external consultations with stakeholders in accordance with relevant policies and guidelines;
- Contribute significantly to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building relating to safeguards practices and standards;
- Identify environmental/social risk or issues and develop mitigation measures to ensure compliance with Environmental and Social Standards (ESSs);
- Ensure that the project adhere to environmental protocols;
- Liaise with the Department of Environment and other relevant parties on environment management issues.
- Lobby for protection of biodiversity and environment in and around the project area.
- Establish and promote maintenance of safety standards through formulation of general safety, fire prevention and health policies and measures;
- Assist line management personnel in meeting their obligations under the relevant Occupational Health & Safety legislation, such as ongoing safety education, hazard identification and elimination;
- Coordinate ongoing training for safety and environmental awareness at all levels of the workforce and regularly verify that tasks are correctly executed..
- Coordinate training for Emergency Response Teams set up in workplaces.
- Inspect the workplace regularly in cooperation with client agencies to audit safety and environmental procedures, and report findings to line management and client agencies as appropriate.
- Investigate accidents, prepare and maintain required reports. Identify counter measures to prevent reoccurrence.
- Develop company’s environmental, health and safety rules and regulations including actions plans.
- Promote a proactive safety culture focused on incident prevention and regulatory compliance.
- Organize and participate in safety committee activities; and
- Maintain, review and report safety performance, identifying opportunities for improvement along with implementing preventative and corrective actions as required.
Qualification and Experience
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Environmental Science, Health and Safety, Social Sciences, or other related fields.
- A minimum of 5 years working experience as an Environmental and or Safety Specialist in projects of similar nature.
- Experience with GoL and International Environmental and Social Standards and requirements will be an added advantage.
- Hands-on experience with infrastructure projects with power sector utilities will be a distinct advantage
- Experience working with large teams, producing high-quality results and outputs with minimal supervision would be advantageous;
- High level of persuasiveness, ability to work independently, taking initiative, and flexibility in quickly adjusting to changing work program requirements
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including an ability to communicate complex issues in simple terms and to engage in evidence-based dialogue
- Proficiency in spoken and written English (required) and Sesotho (desired).
Applications with certified copies of educational certificates and CVs bearing two references from previous employers should be hand delivered to:
Human Resources Office
Ministry of Energy and Meteorology
80 Constitution Road, Government Complex Maseru.
Closing Date: 09th April 2021
Disclaimer: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.