Environment, Health and Safety Specialist- OnePower Lesotho
Full Time – Competitive Compensation
OnePower (1PWR) is seeking a Maseru-based Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) specialist to develop and support EHS programs and compliance alongside electrification of rural villages in Lesotho. OnePower Lesotho, a startup Independent Power Producer (IPP), has been selected as the preferred developer of a 20MW solar PV power plant in Lesotho (the first in the country). In addition to on-grid solar OnePower was incorporated with a mission to develop bankable pay as you go (PAYG) solar mini-grids for community electrification and is currently in the piloting stage in Lesotho. As OnePower electrifies villages with solar minigrids, it
will conduct stakeholder engagements and on-site surveys including social and environmental assessment, management, and reporting during construction and operations, in compliance with internally codified Environmental and Social Management Systems and national laws for
environmental protection and occupational health and safety. OnePower’s EHS specialist will manage, implement, evaluate, and scale up EHS programs supporting the business and in consultation with external experts as needed.
OnePower’s EHS programs are required to follow principles described in IFC Performance Standards or similar standards as may be identified by project financiers (e.g. AfDB Environmental and Social Safeguards).
Responsibilities of the EHS specialist include but are not limited to:
● Facilitate development, maintenance, and updating of company policies and procedures that effect EHS objectives in line with international best practices.
● Undertake stakeholder analysis, develop and manage a project-specific monitoring and evaluation (M&E) process for the EHS program to achieve compliance with internal and external requirements.
● Setting up and managing a project-specific internal and external stakeholder training program to achieve compliance with internal and external requirements.
● Reporting to senior management and acting as the focal person for all EHS activity including data collection and reporting. Compiling data as needed to validate compliance to external stakeholders and to drive internal decision-making.
● Coordinating internally within corporate divisions with authority to implement EHS policies and verify compliance in Production, Project Development, Construction, and Operations and Maintenance.
● Creating reports and giving presentations internally and externally.
● Maintain effective communication with experts in the intersecting fields of energy access and EHS.
● Regularly conduct field surveys to monitor and audit the performance of the policy.
● Conduct routine community engagement including occasional overnight and multi-day missions as needed in remote areas.
● Conduct risk assessment to identify issues, risks, and impacts related to the project
● Undertake incident and accident reporting on EHS.
Required skills and experience:
● Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field
● Minimum 2 years work experience demonstrating background / familiarity with energy projects and principles of EHS; Note: must provide references
● Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and Sesotho
● Familiarity with information technology hardware and software (computers, tablets, software for data analysis and documents generation)
● In-depth experience with data collection and analysis
● Field research experience
● Project / program management experience
● Stakeholder relationship management
● Possess a valid Drivers License
Email CV to: [email protected]