Engineering Manager – Product
WHAT WE DO
Pathstream is an online learning platform that teaches people foundational technical skills. We have real teachers who support classes of students and the technology combines text, video, and interactive hands-on labs. Through our platform we teach advanced concepts like Unity, Tableau, and Data Science to students who are new to these skills.
We’re looking for an engineering manager to lead a team of ~5 (team size scoped to candidate’s experience) product engineers. You’ll oversee a significant portion of the product development work and you’ll be responsible for empowering the engineers in their growth.
Pathstream Engineering believes the best way to create meaningful products is through collaborative, extremely high quality engineering work with a growth mindset. Your job will be to grow alongside your teammates, providing and receiving coaching and ensuring your team has a healthy environment in which to succeed.
You’ll report to the VP of Engineering who will adjust this role to ensure it’s a good fit for your strengths and weaknesses. We’ll give you responsibility for whatever you can do right now, and we’ll offer opportunities to grow into the roles and experience that you want.
This is a full-time position which can be remote or based at Pathstream’s headquarters in downtown San Francisco, CA once it is safe to return to in-person work. The team includes people all over the globe – including Palestine and Brazil – so it doesn’t matter where you are so long as you can be available for work meetings between 9:30am PST and 3:00pm PST.
Progress to date:
- Established partnerships with Google, Salesforce, Facebook, Tableau, Asana, and Unity
- Established partnerships with 25+ colleges and universities in 17 states that serve over 1 million students
- Launched our online learning platform — used by over 2,000 students
- Viewed as a groundbreaking education model, as featured in this TechCrunch article
- Closed $12 million in Series A financing in 2019, as featured in this EdSurge article
We’re a tight-knit, hardworking, mission-driven team of ~50 employees who are eager to scale our solution and transform education across the United States. See who we are and what we believe in!
- Maintain and improve the psychological safety of the engineering team you support.
- Lead a 5+ person product engineering team to start, then hire to expand the team
- Work with every team across the company to create and execute a technical product roadmap at the fastest safe long-term speed. We don’t take shortcuts – we do it right or we don’t do it at all.
- Work with the VP of Engineering to continually improve our culture and our processes – from ticket management and iteration planning to incident response and technical debt management.
- Meaningfully contribute to diversity and inclusion as a core part of your (and everyone’s) work.
- Create dashboards and other tools to provide your team and the company with better visibility.
- Teach and learn from your colleagues to improve the product and your own skills
- Must be able to foster and encourage diversity among the team and address the ways social biases can make the workplace unfair.
- Must have at least 3 years of software engineering experience. More is very welcome but not required. It’s more important that you’ve had the experience of creating something with a team, launching it, and seeing it break under real-world conditions.
- Must have some experience in leadership, though not necessarily management. Your leadership experience does not need to be within engineering or even the tech industry
- Must be able to communicate in written English (Deaf applicants and non-native English speakers are welcome)
WHAT WE OFFER
- Transparent and social culture, challenging work, fast learning cycles, practical training, and meaningful feedback
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage for you and your dependents
- Health, commuter, and parking flexible spending accounts
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance