CDM Smith is a privately owned, global, full-service consulting, design/build engineering, construction, and operations firm helping public and private clients improve their environment and infrastructure through award-winning projects. Since 1947, we have provided innovative solutions developed through strong client relationships of mutual trust and respect and a commitment to quality and integrity. From a three-person firm in the United States to today’s staff of more than 5,000 worldwide, CDM Smith has grown and diversified with our clients’ needs in mind. Our mission is to reach one goal – the client’s – by providing the right total solutions.
We are currently accepting applicants for a Contracts Specialist to work for CDM Smith on the historic Lesotho Highlands Water Project, Phase II.
The Lesotho Highlands Water Project Phase 2 (LHWP2) entails the design and construction of a major water transfer scheme including a 165 metre high CFRD dam; a 38-km long, 5 M diameter transfer tunnel; associated advance infrastructure comprising access roads, project housing and services, telecommunications, and hydro power generation and high voltage transmission. Significant social (e.g. resettlement, public health, livelihood restoration) and environmental (e.g. bio-physical, IFR, cultural heritage, ICM) mitigation plans will be implemented on this project. The estimated project cost is approximately $2B.
- Overall responsibility for drafting of contract documents and manage the contract negotiation/award processes;
- Overall responsibility for oversight and resolution of contract management issues;
- Review bids and make recommendations to the PMU Executive Manager to address concerns;
- Overall responsibility for risk management;
- Oversight of review and approvals for Payment Certificates/Variations and Claims;
- Overall responsibility and oversight of project controls and progress reporting.
- Must have an internationally recognized University Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or comparable field;
- Must be a Chartered/Registered Professional Engineer with a recognized international Institution;
- Fluent in English, and have excellent technical, computer, communication and organizational skills;
- Good knowledge of and relevant experience on large scale construction projects;
- Be fully conversant with FIDIC Conditions of Contract for all applications, but specifically for Consultancy Agreements and Construction Contracts;
- At least 15 years post-qualification experience, preferably with a combination of consultancy and contracting experience in similar large scale infrastructure projects;
- Preferable to have recent experience in Lesotho and/or the Southern African (SADC) region;
- Conversant with modern project and construction management techniques, work programming, cost estimation, measurement/payment certification, and dealing with claims/dispute resolution (DAB’s), utilizing advanced computerized applications.