- Opportunity to work for global company
- Our culture is inclusive, exciting and performance-driven
- Role based in Richards Bay
About the role
We are looking for a Mine Engineer to analyse geological data for the compilation of mine plans by critically examining technical and economic factors. To apply mining engineering methods to solve complex problems. To design and schedule mine production in the short term. To communicate and cause the mine plans to be executed by the production teams by ensuring that the required information and coordinates are made available to the survey team and production systems.
Reporting to the Superintendent: Mine Planning, you will:
- Continuously scan for opportunities to improve mine designs in the short term, 0 to 6 months
- Identify, investigate and technically evaluate concepts using the appropriate tools and methods
- Mining base elevations and mine layouts to maximize value
- Create and maintain mine design criteria documentation in consultation with the Principal advisor mining engineeringReconciliations
- Keep up to date on reconciliation results and adapt mine planning to remain optimal
- Document findings and influencing factors and participate in investigationsPerforming Technical duties to high standards
- Provide technical expertise and analysis to mine operations personnel
- Maintain a up to date, weekly, monthly, 6 monthly mining and tails stacking plans
- Maintain and improve safety, health and environmental standards and practices
- Perform fair and reasonable tasks related to the job and working environment, at the discretion of the supervisorProduction Forecasting, Budgeting and Reporting
- Produce monthly forecast schedules and present findings to the mine team on a by turn basis with other Engineers
- Produce high quality short and medium term plans to guide operations and facilitate production scheduling
- Contribute to the annual two year and 5 year production plan and ensure consistency to the short term plans
About you To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Preferred – B. Sc or B. Eng Mining Engineering or B.Tech Mining Engineering or B. Sc with appropriate specialization in a related field or 3 years relevant experience and exposure in a related field or industry.
- EB License, Qualify for registration with a body recognized by JORC would be highly beneficial.
- 5 years post-graduate experience
Where you will be working
Owned by Rio Tinto and located in the KwaZulu Natal province, Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) is an internationally recognized sand mining and mineral processing operations leader and is one of the world’s foremost producers of titanium minerals, high purity pig iron and zircon.
Employing some 2 000 permanent staff and a number of well-established contracting companies, RBM is proud of the accreditation for ISO 9001 for quality, OHSAS 18001 certification for occupational health and safety management, and ISO 14001 accreditation for environmental management. The company has implemented a sound corporate social development programme and an internationally recognised environmental rehabilitation programme to restore the mined dunes to their natural state after mining.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
RBM is an equal opportunity employer and preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups in line with the company’s employment equity plan.