U.S. Department of Agriculture Food for Progress Lesotho – Sustainable Transformation of Enterprises in the Poultry Sector (STEPS)
Land O’Lakes’ Venture37 is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening agriculture from farm-to-fork, helping businesses grow, and linking farmers to markets. Since our start in 1981, we have been leveraging nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights from our close affiliate, Land O’Lakes, Inc., a farmer-owned agribusiness committed to fulfilling its purpose of feeding human progress.
Our team is made up of nearly 350 employees who are committed to market-led approaches, and passionate about collaborating locally to create lasting inclusive economic growth. By unlocking the potential of agriculture for the last 36 years, the lives of more than 3 million people have been transformed through nearly 300 programs in more than 80 countries.
STEPS aims to catalyze private sector-driven transformation enabling local poultry sector actors to access Lesotho’s strong end-markets and reclaim market share. STEPS will transform Lesotho’s poultry sector to enhance the profitability of value chain actors, increase meat and egg production and improve food security.
Leveraging existing opportunities and tools, STEPS will address constraints which limit production, productivity, and efficiency of local poultry egg and meat markets. A segmented approach takes into consideration the unique needs of local poultry producers, including subsistence farmers, and small to large scale commercial poultry enterprises engaged in production, processing, marketing, and retailing of eggs, meat, and processed poultry products. These actors will be engaged through the indigenous and dual-purpose poultry value chains, and the commercial broiler and layer value chains respectively. STEPS will identify pathways to further integrate and grow poultry, and poultry related business opportunities for women and youth.
Position Summary and Primary Responsibilities:
This Driver will be responsible for providing vehicle transportation services for Venture37 employees, visitors, and designated partners in town and within project sites while demonstrating the highest standards of professionalism, discretion, integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol whilst ensuring compliance with local driving rules and regulations. In addition to driving staff, the individual will be called upon to perform errands as directed. This position will also monitor equipment and perform limited maintenance.
- Transport authorized personnel to/from airports, meetings/appointments, and other official duties, including business travel to/from locations throughout Lesotho.
- Perform routine vehicle inspection and maintenance including checking the oil, fuel, brakes, lights, windshield wipers, and water and tire pressures.
- Read and understand specific vehicle operating manuals (download information from the internet as necessary) and is able to operate every device in the vehicle.
- Ensure that the Vehicle Logbook is properly recorded and maintained.
- Liaise with the Finance and Administration Manager to ensure the Project Vehicle Road License and Insurance Policy are up to date.
- Provide information and other general assistance to the Venture37 staff, visitors, and designated partners.
- Keep assigned vehicle clean inside and outside.
- Ensure vehicles are returned to the office, or approved parking area if traveling, after work hours as per regulations.
- Ensure security of program vehicle at all times.
- Ensure all road code regulations are strictly adhered to including speed, alcohol, cargo limit, etc. Maintain accurate, up-to-date records and other records that are requested from management e.g. fuel records / fuel management system.
- Ensure vehicle is kept in good running condition at all times through addressing minor repairs, making arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, water levels, and car washing. Complete and submit on a timely basis incident and all supporting reports in accordance with the policies of Land O’Lakes.
- Follow Land O’Lakes Field Operations and Administration process on vehicles and vehicle management.
- Willingness to drive throughout Lesotho and neighboring states.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reporting & Supervision:
- The Driver will report to the Finance and Administration Manager. This position will be based in Maseru, Lesotho.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Hold a driving license which allows driving passenger vehicles on a professional basis.
- Ability to drive a multi-passenger vehicle safely and appropriately in accordance with the laws of Lesotho and policies of the organization.
- Ability to read and interpret road signs.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both English and Sesotho (orally and written).
- Ability to prepare concise and accurate records and reports.
- Extensive knowledge of the operations and features of assigned vehicle(s).
- Ability to recognize vehicle maintenance needs and perform minor vehicle repairs.
- Ability to establish effective professional relationships with program staff.
- Must be a citizen of Lesotho.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Defensive Driving Certificate or other training/certificate in road safety desired.
- A certificate of training in auto mechanics and any other patent/vocational technical training in auto/mechanical electronics would be an asset.
- Experience working with an international organization is an advantage.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 will never ask you for personable identifiable information, and we will never request money or payment during the recruitment or employment process.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 is an equal opportunity employer and an organization striving to help global communities thrive through agriculture. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status, among other factors. Our culture values a diversity of voices. So, bring us your unique experiences, your workstyle, and your dreams — they’ll only make us stronger.
To apply, please visit Procurement and HR Assistant – Careers (avature.net).