The bi-national Lesotho Highlands Water Project (LHWP), of the Kingdom of Lesotho (KOL) and the Republic of South Africa (RSA) is aimed at harnessing the water resources of the highlands of Lesotho for the mutual advantage of Lesotho and the Republic of South Africa.
The Lesotho Highlands Development Authority (LHDA) was set up to implement and operate that part of the LHWP that falls within the borders of Lesotho. LHDA is to embark on the Phase II of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project, a multi-billion rand phase involving large scale civil engineering and socio-environmental aspects. The LHDA has excellent opportunities for two experienced high-caliber individuals who will head up the Phase II implementing structure as Project Manager and the Corporate Services Division. The contract duration is five years
DIVISIONAL MANAGER – LHWP PHASE II (MASERU BASED)
A University Degree in Civil, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering; a post-graduate qualification in Project Management will be an added advantage. Must be a registered Professional Engineer
Essential Requirements for the Post:
At least fifteen (15) years’ experience in management of multi-billion Rand major Civil and Electromechanical Construction projects as the Project Manager. Proficiency in Sesotho will also be an added advantage.
Computer literacy, Communication, People Management, Negotiation, Contracts Management.
To oversee the Project Management Unit (PMU) of the LHDA, consisting of consultants and contractors implementing Phase II of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project (LHWP), liaise between the PMU and the existing Divisions within the LHDA, and report as required to the LHDA Board, Subcommittees, LHDA Management and the Lesotho Highlands Water Commission (LHWC). The Divisional Manager will through, the PMU, be responsible for delivery of the following:
A. Components of Phase II of the LHWP:
• Design and Construction of a 165m CFRD and related infrastructure at Polihali in the highlands of Lesotho, for delivery of up 17 cumecs of water into the existing Katse reservoir utilising drilling, blasting and tunnel-boring methods.
• Design and Construction of a hydropower station and related transmission line.
• Conduct environmental and socio-economic Baseline Studies.
• Implement Environmental and Social Development programmes, mitigation measures, and conduct monitoring and evaluation programmes for Phase II.
• Develop and Implement Financial and other project risk management measures in line with international best practice.
• Perform Contract Management especially with regard to dealing with contractual disputes i.e. claims, arbitration etc.
B. Major Tasks and Performance Requirements:
• Reports to the Chief Executive and participates in decision-making as a member of the Executive Committee.
• Supervise the PMU in drawing up Terms of Reference for the appointment of Phase II contractors and consultants.
• Manages the adjudication of proposals from Contractors, Consultants and Service Providers as recommended by the PMU.
• Monitors implementation programmes and schedules to ensure compliance and adherence to set targets and standards.
• Review, approve and process all invoices and certificates submitted by the PMU through the LHDA systems.
• Liaise with LHDA internal structures for the delivery of services to the PMU and other contractors by existing divisions.
• Submit reports and other project information to LHDA Management, Board, Board Sub-committees and the LHWC.
• Manages the adjudication of claims and variation orders and recommends settlements to the LHDA.
CLOSING DATE: 31 JULY 2020
Application Forms are obtainable in the Human Resources Branch, 4th Floor, LHDA Tower Building or at www.lhda.org.ls. Application Forms, comprehensive Curriculum Vitae’s indicating experience in work of a similar nature, certified copies of academic certificates and identification are to be hand delivered to The Office of the Chief Executive, LHDA Tower Building, Maseru or posted to the Chief Executive, Lesotho Highlands Development Authority, P. O. Box 7332, MASERU 100, Lesotho or alternatively e-mailed in PDF format to [email protected]
SUBMISSION OF REFERENCES IS NO LONGER A REQUIREMENT AS LHDA WILL CONDUCT ITS OWN BACKGROUND CHECK WITH SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Applicants must use the LHDA application form.
Attach Curriculum Vitae, certified copies of certificates, passport copy and Motor Vehicle Licence.
Correspondence will only be conducted with short-listed candidates.
Selection interviews for short-listed candidates will be at a date, time and place determined by LHDA.
Short-listed candidates will be required to authenticate information provided in the CV.
LHDA reserves the right to leave an advertised position unfilled if no suitable candidate is identified.
The employment of successful candidates is subject to positive security clearance.