Position N°: 50092380
Publication date: 15-Aug-2019
Closing date: 16-Sep-2019
Duty station: Abidjan, Cote D’ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries) and 26 outside Africa (Non-Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative interventions that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In addition to providing finance, the Bank is Africa’s voice on global economic, financial and development issues, a role that has taken significant importance in light of increasing global integration and interconnected risks. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (the High 5’s), all of which will accelerate delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The SNVP provides effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP leads senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Strategy and Operational Policy Department (SNSP) plays a key role in shaping a corporate vision and a strategic perspective for the African Development Bank (AfDB) as well as developing the operational policies aimed at guiding the Bank’s agenda. It provides rapid response on a wide range of policy issues, identifies new challenges, and anticipates change requirements. The department provides a focal point for the identification and strategic analysis of global challenges, of the implications for Africa and the Bank and supports senior management in their engagement with the international community. It leads the Bank in the development of a new culture of innovation and change, including the incubation of new financial/non-financial products and business lines. In this regard, the department works across the institution helping to ensure strategic focus and policy compliance in decision-making, and the improved alignment of resources with strategic priorities.
The Director, Strategy and Operational Policies provides strategic leadership in the alignment of Bank strategies to its overall mission and business priorities. The position advises the President and Senior Management on long-term strategy and policy of the Bank and assist with the communication of Bank corporate strategies and policies to all stakeholders. It also advises and supports the President and senior management in their engagement with the international community on the position of the Bank to the G8 and G20, and on relations with the other MDBs. It requires a high level of engagement and knowledge of African developmental needs, and a deep understanding of the diverse stakeholders needs pertinent to the Bank’s development agenda. The position reports to the Senior Vice President, who in turn reports to the President.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Senior Vice-President, the Director Corporate Strategy And Policy will undertake the following:
- Contribute fully to the development and review of the Bank’s overall strategy and direction, the effective functioning of its governance systems, and the promotion of strong partnerships within and outside the Bank
- Contribute to the development and review of the Bank business plans to ensure that they are consistent with the Bank’s strategic direction;
- Ensure regular update and dissemination of the Bank Group’s Operational Manual and lead on corporate policy development and review;
- Liaise with other departments of the Bank and contribute as required to policy development and advice on the consistency of annual and multi-year planning with long-term Bank objectives;
- Advise senior management on issues and developments in Regional and Non-Regional member countries which impact on the Bank and its performance;
- Assume joint responsibility with other Directors for corporate performance and the achievement of the Bank’s strategic objectives;
- Provide analytical policy advice support to the President on long-term strategic initiatives;
- Advise senior management on strategic partnerships and discussions with key bilateral and multilateral partners including the conduct of African Development Fund (ADF) replenishments; ADB General Capital Increases (GCI), innovative financing options and on institutional reforms;
- Oversee and lead presentations to Board committees and/or the Board of policies/strategies for review or approval;
- Identify emerging international issues including G8 and G20 development priorities and or those pertinent for Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) and assess their potential implications on the Bank’s policies, strategies and development assistance, and accordingly provide advice on the Bank’s response to these issues.
- Coordinate the Bank’s relationships with other Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs), international organizations, and bilateral agencies at institutional level and on strategic matters;
- Provide overall leadership in the assessment of countries eligibility to the African Development Bank window.
- Develop and oversee the annual work program for the department in consideration of the Bank-wide strategic priorities, agreed results and the Bank’s fiduciary guidelines;
- Lead planning, organizing, monitoring and usage of human and financial resources of the department;
- Oversee the overall human resource management issues for the department related but not limited to staff planning, recruitment and performance management within the Bank’s annual cycles and policies and guidelines.
- Work closely with the Bank’s senior management as a member of the Senior Management Coordination Committee (SMCC) and represent the Department on relevant committees or work streams as requested by Senior Management.
- Foster teamwork and an environment that stimulates and rewards innovation, creativity and accountability for results, and motivate staff to contribute to delivering significant developmental impacts.
- Minimum a Master’s degree or its equivalent university degree in development economics, macroeconomics or economic policy management, public finance, strategic management engineering or relevant development field;
A minimum of fifteen (15) years of extensive and progressive experience in public policy, economic or government policy, financial management, and a strong experience in the design and delivery of operations (including investment projects and policy based operations).
Extensive experience in project management preferably in a multilateral development finance institution, at least eight (8) years of which should be focused on developing countries, preferably in Africa and at a managerial level;
Sound understanding of strategy formulation and development, macro-economic issues, fiscal policy and public budgeting issues in developing countries and demonstrable experience of the operational policies, procedures and practices of major bilateral or multilateral development institutions;
Solid knowledge and a good grasp of political economics as well as socio-economic, development issues, challenges and opportunities in Africa. Demonstrated motivation and commitment to the development of the African continent;
Ability to apply innovative approaches, work independently and apply new methods to solve problems while remaining efficient in a fast-paced, changing and challenging institutional environment;
A strategic mindset and the capacity to steer the Bank’s agenda while empowering staff during a phase of institutional transition towards greater country focus of the Bank’s activities;
Possess the necessary team skills required to lead complex programs; strong capacity to analyze actions from the perspectives of stakeholders and translate strategic thinking into a compelling plan of action;
Demonstrated ability to take prudent business risks and make effective, timely and well-determined decisions;
Demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas; a good listener; with cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations or change;
Strong communication skills and the ability to develop partnerships with a broad range of clients, as well as to deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the Institution. Preference will be given to candidates demonstrating very strong outreach skills and experience in both regional and non-regional member countries;
Ability to operate effectively in a matrix management environment, both as team leader and team member;
Ability to deal sensitively in a multi-cultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues;
Demonstrates integrity, sound judgment, and highest ethical standards;
Excellent written and verbal communications in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Ability to provide strategic advice to the Bank on emerging financial and development issues, as well as corporate issues.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected]
Apply for this position
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.