Millennium Challenge Account (MCA) Lesotho II
The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) is a U.S. government corporation focused on assisting countries dedicated to good governance, economic freedom, and investing in people. In May 2022, MCC signed a five-year agreement (“compact”) with the government of Lesotho (GoL) aimed at poverty reduction through inclusive and sustainable economic growth in the country.
The Millennium Challenge Account (MCA- Lesotho II), is an entity established by the Government to act as the accountable entity to implement the Compact, with the authority to bind the Government with regard to all Program activities.
The Lesotho Health and Horticulture Compact aims to benefit 2.5 million people by growing, strengthening, and organizing the private sector in Lesotho and improving the government’s coordination to deliver critical services necessary to support private sector development.
It will achieve this goal through investments in Health System Strengthening, strengthening of the business environment and Market Driven Irrigated Horticulture, providing sustainable income for smallholders and increasing climate resilience by replacing rain-fed subsistence farming with irrigated commercial horticulture in select locations.
The GoL is committed to passing several key reforms that will help make this compact successful, including reforms that address gender equality, working conditions and worker safety, as well as land and water rights. All of the compact’s projects focus on overcoming barriers to the economic inclusion of women, youth, and the rural poor.
Digital Outreach and Social Media Specialist
Objective of this position
Under the supervision of the Communications Director, the Digital Outreach and Social Media Specialist is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of MCA-Lesotho II’s digital communications strategy. The Digital Outreach and Social Media Specialist is responsible for enhancing and strengthening MCA-Lesotho-II’s capacity to conceptualize, develop, and disseminate online communication strategies. The Digital Outreach and Social Media Specialist contributes to MCA-Lesotho II’s strategic positioning and visibility, while promoting Compact activities through the management of the website, social networks, and digital communication.
- Contribute to the visibility of the program using modern digital tools, including the development, management, and implementation of a communication strategy for social networks as well as the reporting and analysis of communications on these platforms.
- Draft and schedule social media posts to support MCA-Lesotho II’s external messaging. Pro-actively seek opportunities to develop and promote engaging content.
- Develop and implement digital outreach campaigns to enhance brand visibility and drive traffic to MCA-Lesotho online platforms.
- Coordinate across teams to ensure social media toolkits, messaging, and resource guides are finalized for distribution, including external audiences.
- Support the development of social media policy and guidelines.
- Plan and maintain a content calendar, ensuring consistent and strategic posting schedule across all social media channels.
- Assist with conception, creation, and editing of digital content, including email marketing, blogs, photos, videos, and infographics.
- Create a directory of MCA-Lesotho II activities through the capture, integration, and processing of text, videos, infographics, and other image content, as well as external coverage and dissemination of related events to the compact, which are held at project sites and elsewhere.
- Infuse content with Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) best practices to maximise discoverability and reach across search engines and social media algorithms.
- Integrate online content into broader employee communication, ensuring that the overall messaging aligns with internal communication goals.
MCA-Lesotho II Website
- Lead the development of new web pages and other online content for MCA-Lesotho II’s website.
- Lead the strategy and content development of the MCA-Lesotho II website, including (i) developing and integrating new modules, (ii) regularly updating the website and content management system (CMS), (iii) referencing and ensuring the website’s administration and security, (iv) optimizing the website and its mobile versions, and, if necessary,
- Monitor and update MCA-Lesotho II’s online content for compliance, quality, and timeliness. Lead any internal content review processes across departments.
Strategy and Policy Development and Implementation
- Develop the work plans necessary to implement the digital communications strategy, in accordance with the project’s timeline and strategy; apply MCC and MCA-Lesotho II’s guidelines and policies on branding, logos, and communications standards.
- Support the development and implementation of broad-based policies and plans to ensure significant public/community participation in program planning, monitoring, and evaluation, in collaboration with the MCA-Lesotho II team.
- Support the development and implementation of a stakeholder outreach strategy in concert with other MCA-Lesotho II teams, which communicates the success and status of compact, and publishes opportunities.
- Collaborate with the monitoring and evaluation team and project managers to send timely bulletins to stakeholders and target groups, which articulate the MCA-Lesotho II Compact progress, especially focused on the indicators as described in the Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
- Contribute to maintaining good relations with the government of Lesotho, key influencers, and other key stakeholders by developing and using a network of contacts to facilitate and promote the program.
- Coordinate with senior management in the preparation of major public events, especially the preparation of speech writing and communication materials and tools.
- Provide ongoing communication and logistical support to the MCA-Lesotho II team in the consultation process at corporate level (including participation in MCA Board, advisory committees, and stakeholder meetings).
Support the execution of a press plan, including print and online, to ensure optimal public communications
- Bachelor’s degree in either Communications, Public relations, Media studies, Digital Marketing or a related field.
- At least five years of relevant experience with a track record of programmatic accomplishment and professional achievement.
- At least five years of knowledge and demonstrated practical expertise in the following areas:
- Proven ability to write and optimize copy for digital that drove action/traffic.
- Experience with email marketing
- Experience with and deep understanding of social media platforms, social media analytics tools, and relevant software.
- Basic graphic design and video editing skills
- Translating technical information into content more accessible for general audiences
- Developing communications materials such as media advisories, press releases, feature stories, fact sheets, talking points, internal news bulletins etc.
- Strong storytelling skills with the ability to communicate messages effectively through different content formats.
- Writing, editing, and contributing to documents in the areas of international development, humanitarian assistance, or international affairs.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in complex, multicultural, multigenerational, multinational professional environments.
- Creative mindset with the ability to think outside the box.
Fluency in English and Sesotho
How to apply
Applications must be submitted online, on or before the 22nd December 2023.
Complete applications must comprise of the following documents:
1. Curriculum vitae containing detailed work experience;
2. Cover letter confirming interest and availability;
3. Soft copies of higher education and professional certificates (if available);
4. A completed online application form (can be accessed from https://lesotho-jobs.tenderwell.app – CV Template MCA Lesotho II)
Only applications that are submitted on or before the deadline will be considered.
We thank all applicants. However, note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Submit your application online via: https://lesotho-jobs.tenderwell.app . Hard copy applications will not be considered.