Kingdom of Lesotho
Ministry of Health
REQUEST FOR CURRICULUM VITAE
DEPARTMENT: Project Implementing Unit
JOB TITLE: Data Officer
PROJECT: Lesotho COVID-19 Emergency Preparedness and Response Project.
RESPONSIBLE TO: M&E Specialist
DATE OF ISSUE: 14th May, 2021
The Ministry of Health (MOH) is implementing three projects supported by the World Bank (WB). The first project, the Lesotho Nutrition and Health System Strengthening Project, aims to support the Government of Lesotho (GOL) in implementing a multi-sectoral approach to improve health and nutrition outcomes over a five-year period (2021-2026). The project development objective is to increase utilization and quality of key nutrition and health services in Lesotho. Most of the interventions will be implemented nationwide.
The second project, the Southern African Tuberculosis and Health Systems Support (SATBHSS) project was launched in Maputo, Mozambique in December of 2016. The project is implemented in four (4) Southern African Development Community (SADC) countries; Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia with financial support from the World Bank and regional technical assistance from the African Union Development Agency – New Partnership for Africa’s development (AUDA-NEPAD) and the East, Central and Southern Africa Health Community (ECSA-HC). The aim of the SATBHSS project is to improve coverage and quality of key TB control and occupational lung disease services in targeted geographic areas of the participating countries and strengthen regional capacity to manage the burden of TB and occupational diseases in SADC.
The third project, the Lesotho COVID-19 Emergency Preparedness Response Project, aims to prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 and strengthen national systems for public health preparedness in Lesotho. In addition, the government also received an Additional Financing (AF) for the COVID-19 project. The AF is aimed at accelerating the readiness of the National Deployment and Vaccination Plan (NDVP), as well as to purchase and deploy COVID-19 vaccines that meet World Bank’s Vaccine Approval Criteria (VAC) and strengthen relevant health systems that are necessary for a successful deployment and to prepare for the future. The Project implementing Unit (PIU) within the Ministry of Health is coordinating the implementation of the three projects.
In an effort to implement the projects effectively, the MOH seeks to recruit a Data Officer who will work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist, Program Officer and the various technical and support programs within the MOH including the family health division on Village Health Worker Program, Nutrition, EPI, Planning Department, Disease Control Directorate, Clinical Directorate, Quality Assurance and different partners.
Under the direct supervision of the M&E Specialist, the Data Officer will be responsible for compiling, managing and conducting verification of program implementation data and generating weekly, monthly, quarterly as needed and analytical reports for program follow up and monitoring purposes. S/He is expected to take part in the M&E activities to ensure the delivery of high-quality services, support data collection by implementing partners and ensure that quality of data guidelines or standards are adhered to and accurate and up-to-date data for all the projects are available on a regular basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support and management of the health information systems (HIS) including collection, analysis and timely, appropriate and confidential sharing/reporting of data;
- Develop and maintain a database of data reported for the Results Framework of WB support projects;
- Routinely populate the database for the results framework indicators and other processes indicators to reach the desired targets;
- Ensure data archiving, analysis, interpretation and use of disease surveillance data for evidence-based decision making and action;
- Maintain data quality and ensure that data being reported are consistent with the data being recorded from the reports of implementing partners;
- Data timeliness and completeness reports are available for all routine reporting;Provide quarterly updates on data management issues related to World Bank supported projects;
- Conduct routine data quality assessments guided by the Results Frameworks of different World Bank projects.
- Ensure M&E records and forms are properly maintained and kept up-to-date on all WB supported projects under PIU;
- Ensure that appropriate mechanisms are in place to address late, incomplete, inaccurate and missing reports,including following-up with implementing partners;
- Provide capacity building on data management including development to tools to implementing partners supported under the World Bank;
- Produce periodic data reports as required by management;
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Computer science, Statistics or equivalent with at least 5 years of relevant experience in a similar role;
- At least 3 years’ experience in health data collection/ management and all statistic forms;
- Data analysis and report writing skills;
- Health information system knowledge and skills;
- Experience in managing and analysing qualitative and quantitative data;
- Computer literacy with working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel), Microsoft Access, SPSS;
- Ability to rapidly analyse and integrate diverse information from varied sources.
- Extensive Knowledge on data compilation and management;
- Excellent knowledge data verification;
- Strong analytical capacity and ability to analyse complex information using appropriate statistical tools;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Ability to work independently and be creative and innovative. Integrity and ability to work in a team;
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions;
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office Package, especially microsoft excel including preparation of pivot tables, graphs and any other analysis as required;
- Must be result focused and be able to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Team player with strong leadership abilities: experience in working with large teams of people from different background;
Excellent knowledge of written and oral English
The candidate will be supervised under the Ministry of Health Project Implementing Unit.
The duration for this position is 36 months starting from July 2021 to June 2024. The Contract is subject to 4 months’ probation period and the contract period will also be subjected to annual performance monitoring.
The duty station for the position is the MoH Headquarters, PIU offices, Maseru. There may be need for travels to the other districts, as required.
Successful candidate will be offered market related remuneration.
Facilities to be Provided
The Candidate will be provided with Office space and necessary equipment such as Laptop and phone.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications indicating the advertisement and position on the subject line of letter together with detailed curriculum vitae indicating work experience and certified certificates and National ID. Day time telephone contacts, names and telephone contacts of 3 referees should be included in the CV.
Applications to reach the undersigned not later than 27th May 2021 1200hour to:
Procurement Specialist, Procurement Unit Ground Floor, Room 11 Ministry of Health, Corner constitution & Linare Roads, Kingdom of Lesotho, Telephone: (+266) 27323277.
Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted within two weeks from submission deadline. If you do not receive a call and email from us consider application not successful.