International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: Data Advisor (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – CDC)
Department/Location: Institutional Support & Program Implementation (ISPI) Practice/ Pretoria, South Africa
Reports To: Principal, ISPI Practice
Type: Regular Full-Time (approximately 6/15/2023 to 6/14/2028)
Clearance Type: Facilities
Overview: Strengthening and supporting health systems are a primary focus of The U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief’s (PEPFAR) new Five-Year Strategy as part of an emphasis on sustainability of the HIV response in South Africa and on sustainability of PEPFAR investments. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) South Africa relies heavily on the use of data for decision-making, partner monitoring and program improvement. IBTCI seeks a Data Advisor who can support the CDC South Africa’s program staff in utilizing, triangulating, and visualizing data to improve the program with the goal of achieving HIV epidemic control in South Africa. The Data Advisor will provide technical assistance to CDC South Africa branches with data needs, including analysis, visualization, and administration of online data portals/ dashboards, including the following tasks:
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Oversee data reporting and analysis for national, district and site level activities supported through PEPFAR and CDC South Africa.
- Manage users, develop, and maintain dashboards and implement data quality assurance measures within current information platforms used by CDC South Africa.
- Serve as the District Profile point of contact for PEPFAR South Africa, the South African Government, Interagency Collaborative for Program Improvement (ICPI) and the IBTCI.
- Provide PEPFAR and stakeholder users with active mentorship on the portal to foster proficiency and independence using the system.
- Work with the CDC South Africa for access to relevant and up-to-date HIV datasets (e.g., District Health Information System [DHIS], Expenditure Analysis, Payment Management System (PMS), Site Improvement Through Monitoring System (SIMS), Human Resources Inventory Database (HRID), District Implementation Plan (DIP).
- Attend and promote the use of the existing datasets and tools in relevant meetings with internal and external stakeholders (e.g., National Department of Health (NDOH) work stream meetings, CDC branch meetings). Work with stakeholders at these meetings to ensure that the data sets are meeting their needs.
- Align South Africa National Department of Health (NDOH) and PEPFAR data and standardize data source documents to ensure consistency and accuracy across branches and agencies.
- Attend District Implementation Plan (DIP) meetings and work with NDOH counterparts to integrate best practices in data use into the process.
- Provide trainings to CDC South Africa staff to improve Excel, Power BI and other data visualization skills throughout the office. Focus on building capacity within the Strategic Information Monitoring and Evaluation Team.
- Contribute to branch meetings, technical working groups and work stream meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- International experience working with Ministries/Departments of Health, with a strong preference for prior work experience working with South Africa’s National Department of Health.
- Experience in analyzing data from PEPFAR information systems including DATIM, Expenditure Analysis, and SIMS.
- Advanced training in epidemiology and public health evaluation.
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance (Public Trust) by the National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) and a Credit Check, and possible Minimum or Limited Background Investigation.
- Oral and written fluency in English required, fluency in another language preferred.
Education: Graduate degree in informatics, computer science, or other related field.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: 2 trips to international location (including United States) for up to 5 days plus travel. 10 trips within South Africa for up to 5 days plus travel.
Work Authorization: Only U.S. citizens or non-U.S. citizens who have lived in the U.S. at least three of the last five years are eligible to provide services under this task order. The exception to this is an incumbent non-U.S. citizen contractor employee with current, valid security clearance for physical and logical access to CDC and embassy facilities and network. If the exception
stated above is used, do not include any contractor employee who is considered an ordinarily resident in
your proposal. Ordinarily resident: A U.S. citizen or Third Country National who: (1) is a local resident;(2) has legal, permanent resident status within the host country; and (3) is subject to host country employment and tax
laws. This also includes host country citizens.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
About the Organization:
IBTCI has been in business since 1987. We specialize in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL), Institutional Support (IS), Financial & Risk Management (FRM), Supply Chain Management & Procurement (SCMP); Social & Behavior Change (SBC) and Capacity Building. We provide these services across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture, resilience & food security, conflict & crisis, democracy & governance, economic growth & trade, education, energy & infrastructure, environment & climate change, global health & WASH and humanitarian and disaster assistance. At IBTCI, our colleagues are encouraged to collaborate and be part of the solution while getting the tools and guidance needed to grow and support our clients’ missions.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact the Talent Acquisition team at TalentAcquisition@ibtci.com (Do not send your resume to this account, for consideration please apply in our career page, https://careers.ibtci.com/jobs).