MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To provide professional and technical expertise on Customs procedures and policies and support the implementation of key Customs initiatives in the Customs Union.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review customs procedures and processes in the SACU region and make proposals for improvement, in line with modern customs practices.
- Assist in the assessment of customs capacity requirements among the SACU Customs Authorities.
- Provide support in the training of customs authorities in modern customs procedures and practices.
- Assist in the research of modern customs clearance procedures for imports and exports in order to reduce the processing time.
- Provide technical assistance and advice to the private sector on key customs procedures for the movement and clearance of goods across the SACU region.
- Provide technical assistance and support in the implementation of key customs initiatives adopted by SACU Council.
- Assist in the harmonization of customs policies, procedures and documentation to facilitate the speedy clearance of goods at border posts.
- Assist in Project Management and coordination of the SACU Customs Modernisation Programme.
- Provide technical assistance and support to negotiations and implementation of Trade Agreements signed with third parties
- Assist in coordinating and monitoring the implementation of the SACU Council`s decisions on trade facilitation.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- A degree in Finance, Economics, or equivalent, with specialisation in the fields of customs/trade procedures and legislation.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience with strong quantitative skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in customs procedures, processes and systems
- Experience in working within a trade and customs environment will be an added advantage.
- Expertise in databases and spreadsheet programmes
- Excellent writing skills, Communication & presentation skills
- Excellent Project Management skill.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to work successfully in a multinational environment.
Applications must be accompanied by a detailed CV, e-mail and telephone contact details, certified copies of ID, educational qualifications and at least 3 contactable references. Quote the reference number and job title. Applications must be submitted to Human Resources Manager, SACU Secretariat, Private Bag 13285, Windhoek Namibia Windhoek Namibia or send by e mail to: [email protected]
The closing date for applications is 14 December 2018.
For further information, please visit our website at www.sacu.int.
Should you have received no response within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful in this instance, as correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only.