Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum’s financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This service professional role is accountable for in force service execution in a high production environment. This role will be responsible for the majority of in force service related inquiries that will directly influence/ drive future and current business while representing a key component in the successful implementation of the Growth Strategy. Problem solving and decision making all while providing highly responsive service to plan administrators, brokers and Field partners working in close partnership with internal business partners to achieve common goals/objectives including influencing persistency and new business opportunities is essential with this position. Service will range throughout every line of business relative to any inquiry type and communication will be facilitated through different mediums, which will include some direct customer contact once certain proficiencies are met. While partnering with other internal departments may be required to achieve outcomes, the incumbent retains ownership coordinating both indirect and some direct communication flow back to the customer or broker when needed.
- Demonstrate understanding of Colonial’s workflow systems and capabilities to effectively process the appropriate services
- Research, evaluate and respond timely to service issues. Demonstrate understanding of where referral or escalation is appropriate.
- Proactively communicate to management and other key business partners trends relative to service requests.
- High sense of detail and consistency for customer requests
- Adopt change initiatives to improve workflow and enhance the customer experience.
- Engage in education to continually retain broad knowledge of Colonial Life Voluntary Benefits and Group and Policy Administration to respond to many types of inquiries leveraging a multitude of systems/workflows.
- Meet individual goals with a continuous focus on team results.
- Ability to obtain and retain specific subject matter expertise as required.
- Support relationships with our customer requests while exemplifying a high degree of professionalism.
- Demonstrates agility, flexibility and adaptability to change; operates as a change agent; challenges the status quo; approaches his/her work with a continuous improvement mindset
- Accurately verify policyholder and plan administrator key identifiers and ensure appropriate communication methods are utilized in support of Colonial Life’s commitment to privacy and safeguarding confidential information.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be serviceable by a broadband cable or fiberoptic internet service provider
- A separate, quiet dedicated work space must be established at remote site for the purpose of performing work duties. This area must be maintained in a safe condition, free from all hazards
- Shift is 10am-7pm Eastern Time.
- Our customers are Colonial Life agents, brokers and plan administrators in a contact center environment.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.