Under the general supervision of the Technical Manager, the incumbent will have technical, financial and supervisory responsibility for Maintenance Division works. Specifically he/she will ensure that all works carried out by contractors and force account teams assigned are executed properly in respect of specification, quantity, quality and financial obligations.
S/He should have knowledge for the below mentioned areas. The specific duties and responsibilities for this position are:
Direct supervision of construction and maintenance of roads, bridges including footbridges with following duties:-
- Manages; supervises and controls construction and maintenance projects by ensuring good site discipline and safe working conditions.
- Plans site activities, draws up monthly targets for various gangs, allocates and reviews contractors actual work progress.
- Allocates resources as per planned activities
- Supervises work of all staff and labour working on the site including contract works.
- Requisitions all materials, tools and equipment necessary to carry out planned monthly project activities.
- Prepares monthly project progress reports both in-house and contracts.
- Assists Regional Engineer in the following:
- Preparing tender documents and estimates of the region.
- Preparing annual programmes of development and maintenance works as per budget allocation
- Carries out road inventories as and when required by the Regional Engineer
- Any other duties as may be assigned
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Submits for consideration all budget estimates for works in his/her section.
- Monitor the expenditures in the division against the relevant budget to ensure that no excess expenditures are permitted to occur. If additional budget appropriations are required, ensure that the applications are made at the appropriate time and ensure that the yearly budget is effectively utilised and avoid incurring large expenditures in the closing months of the year.
- PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Ensures that the execution of all works and all other operations of his section are carried out in accordance with the Rules and Regulations of the Directorate.
- Monitor physical progress against time and cost and avoid cost and time overruns.
- Ensures that all reports and other information required from the section and its subsidiary units are completed accurately in the required formats and are submitted to the Technical Manager in time.
- Liaises with other senior staff of the Roads Directorate in order to ensure good performance.
- HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Have technical and administrative control over the personnel in his Section and to be responsible for the proper functioning and discipline of his section and in cases of default he is to recommend to the Supervisor for disciplinary proceedings to be instigated against the concerned personnel.
Diploma in Civil Engineering PLUS a minimum of 4 years working experience in labour based or equipment based road construction and maintenance. A certificate in labour based or equipment based road construction and maintenance techniques or a certificate in road works techniques will be an added advantage.
National Diploma in Civil Engineering or equivalent from recognized institution AND a minimum of 3 years labour based or equipment based road construction and maintenance.
Roads Directorate Head office
Opposite Browns Cash and Carry
Tel: (+266) 52229000
Tel :(+266) 2222 9000
Roads Directorate Head office
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 194
Industrial Area, Maseru 100
NB: The closing date for the submission of applications is 12th April, 2017. No late applications will be accepted. Only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.