SolidarMed is a leading non-profit organization working to improve the health care of 2.5 million people in Lesotho, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Working together with national partners to strengthen health systems and community capacities, we are committed to scientific evidence and policy dialogue both as foundations and objectives of our work.
We are looking for a Mosotho experienced development professional to lead our passionate team and manage our portfolio of projects addressing Communicable and Non-Communicable Diseases burden in Lesotho.
Country Director Lesotho (full time) – Re-advertisement
Fixed term appointment
Place of Assignment
Maseru, Lesotho (with regular travel to all SolidarMed project sites in Lesotho)
Start of Contract.
SolidarMed in Lesotho implements a broad portfolio of projects aimed at reducing the communicable and non-communicable disease burden in the country. Most projects have a strong research focus and are implemented in close relationship with leading Swiss research institutes. This year sees the start of a large multi-disciplinary implementation research project on NCD care with the aim to have transformative impact on Health care solutions in developing countries. SolidarMed Lesotho’s team of outstanding project managers make a significant contribution to the strengthening of the health care system. SolidarMed is a respected partner of the Ministry of Health and recognized for its important contribution to better health care in Lesotho.
The Country Director is responsible for strategic leadership and oversight of SolidarMed operations in Lesotho, including program direction, country strategy development, human resource management and talent development, financial and organization’s assets stewardship, resource acquisition, and administrative operations.
Your tasks and responsibilities as Country Director
- Lead the development and execution of a high-quality country strategic plan relevant to the local context and reflecting the global priorities.
- Oversee the recruitment, orientation, performance, and development of staff, demonstrating healthy engagement, a culture of innovation, and effective talent management.
- Provide leadership in the development or change management of transformative initiatives in the country to enable continuous evolution of the projects and their delivery models.
- Ensure optimal financial, human, and physical resource allocation and management and quality standards for successful implementation of the country’s strategic plan and mission and to monitor and report on their progress. (in collaboration with the Programme Manager in Switzerland)
- Coordinate and link with national and international partners, donors, stakeholders; proactively seek potential new collaborations.
- Represent SolidarMed Lesotho at national level and other consultative bodies.
- Lead and oversee the grants acquisition and management effort in the country ensuring long-term health of the portfolio and achievement of annual targets.
- Budget control and safeguarding of the internal controlling system.
- Ensure the delivery of timely, high quality programme and project reports.
- Master’s in Business Administration or equivalent. Postgraduate in Public Health, Project Management, Health Care Management is added advantage
- At least 10 years’ experience in a senior management position in international development, with proven track record of strong management skills with complex programs and large staff
- Ability to demonstrate support for innovation and organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness; helping others to successfully manage organizational change
- Sound knowledge and experience of management and administration, experience in financial administration
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social, and political issues. Experience in dealing with institutional donors and government officials.
- Coalition building capabilities, external networking, and experience in developing strategic partnerships.
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, entrepreneurial, and service-orientated
- An attractive benefit package.
- A professionally run, innovative programme focused on health.
- Located in Maseru.
How to apply
Please email your application to [email protected] citing reference “Country Director Lesotho” and include
- your CV (max. 2 pages) including 3 references
- a covering letter outlining your motivation and how you meet the requirements
- copies of your qualifications.
Due to the high volume of applications, SolidarMed will only contact shortlisted candidates. We kindly ask you not to send in duplicate or hard copies of your application.
Deadline for applications 9th May 2021