The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Relations invites applications from suitably qualified local candidates to fill the following position.
DEPARTMENT: FOREIGN SERVICE
JOB TITLE: Counsellor (Legal)
NO. OF POSITIONS: (1)
RESPONSIBLE TO: THE HEAD OF MISSION
Under the supervision of the Head of Mission or Minister Counsellor, s/he has responsibility to cover International Organizations and countries of accreditation dealing with legal matters. S/he monitors and participates in legal negotiations within the areas of responsibility, and initiates cooperation on legal matters between Lesotho and regional/international organizations and countries of accreditation.
S/he also provides legal advice on positions to take during negotiations/meetings.
- Monitors regional and international trends in the areas of responsibility and prepares reports.
- Participates in legal negotiations and meetings.
- Provides legal advice on positions that Lesotho has to take.
- Initiates cooperation between Lesotho and International Organizations.
- Facilitates participation of Lesotho in regional/international meetings.
- Coordinates implementation of Agreements.
- Promotes and protects Lesotho’s interests.
- Represents Lesotho in regional/international meetings and in other groupings/committees.
- Acts as a focal point on legal related issues for Lesotho.
- Assists in technical and administrative work of the Mission.
- Provides protocol services.
- Prepares operational work plans, budgets and reports.
- Performs any other related duties assigned by the Head of Mission and/or Minister Counsellor.
- Advises the Head of Mission on all legal related matters
- Acts as Commissioner of Oaths.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Education and Training
- Master of Laws plus three (3) years’ experience in field of Law.
- Bachelor of Laws, plus five (5) years’ experience in the field of Law.
- Experience in International Affairs will be an added advantage.
Other necessary Knowledge18
- Knowledge of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations
- Ability to preside over technical meetings
All applications should be on relevant forms GP104 forms for Serving and GP103 for job seekers, accompanied by certified copies of Educational Certificates and transcripts should be delivered to:
Human Resources Office
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Relations
The closing date for the applications is 14th April, 2023.