Who We Are
At Trees for the Future (TREES), we train farmers in sustainable land use so that they can build vibrant regional economies, thriving food systems, and a healthier planet.
Around the world, modern and industrialized farming practices are destroying the environment—and, at the same time, failing to provide reliable income and nourishment for the farmers we all depend on to survive. At TREES, we recognize that unsustainable land use is the root cause of our most pressing challenges. We confront these challenges by serving the people at the heart of our global food systems: farmers and their families.
As a global leader in agroforestry training for over 30 years, TREES provides hands-on, immersive education, skill building, and support, encouraging farmers to work with nature, not against it. Our signature methodology, the Forest Garden Approach, helps farmers transform their land with thousands of fast-growing, ecologically appropriate trees and dozens of other crops, creating new possibilities for themselves and their communities. By embracing sustainable land practices, farmers are reclaiming their agency, breaking the cycles of climate change and generational poverty, and rebuilding our food systems from the ground up. Learn more at trees.org
About the Opportunity
The Controller is responsible for all accounting, control and financial reporting in TREES’ global operation. The incumbent will be a skilled and experienced accounting professional and competent in the configuration, operation and evolution of our Intacct software instance. This is an exciting time to join an organization empowering smallholder farmers in Africa and breaking new ground in techniques to create and market verified carbon off-sets. Income from our carbon projects will offer new revenue streams for our client farmers and demonstrate profitable new funding models that attract new sources of development finance.
In this role, you will…
- Review, revise and lead our accounting policy, practice and system as we commence a transformational growth path.
- Build and oversee a healthy policy environment and accounting, control and reporting infrastructure in our four African countries of operation, in new countries where we may deploy and in our headquarters.
- Be responsible for effective and efficient execution of all core accounting and financial reporting activities, the global monthly close process, annual close and reporting and preparation and management of the annual audit.
- Report to the Senior Director of Finance and Administration and be based preferably in the Washington, DC Metro Area. Starting in June of 2022 we will operate in a hybrid remote and in office approach.
You’ll be a great fit if you have…
- CPA certification and 4-6 years of tenure with a public accounting firm or similar enterprise
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration
- 3 to 5 years of managerial experience with a preference for past work in an international NGO
- Skilled in the use of ERP software with experience using Intacct especially welcome
- Demonstrated capacity to prepare and deliver training to accountants working remotely and the willingness to provide support and mentoring to achieve strong performance.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to partner with other departments to ensure financial needs are met
- Capacity to prepare, disseminate and revise policy documentation as necessary.
- A passion for our mission in service of smallholder farmers in Africa and mitigation of climate change
Ready to Join our Team?
We’re thrilled that you want to change the world with us. Apply here.
Trees is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.