Under the general supervision of the Director Road Network Development the incumbent will have technical, financial and managerial responsibility for Road Network Development Division. The incumbent will be responsible for construction, upgrading, and rehabilitation of roads and bridges to the required standard in accordance with social, environmental and road safety guidelines. Specifically he/she will supervise, manage and monitor all roads and bridges rehabilitation, upgrading and construction works carried out by contractors assigned to the Directorate and ensure that all works are executed properly in respect of specification, quantity, quality and financial obligations.
- Supervise and monitor all roads and bridge upgrading and construction works carried out by RD and ensure that all works are executed properly in respect of specification, quantity, quality and financial.
- Assist in arranging procurement of contractors for execution, and consultant for supervision, of Roads and Bridge upgrading and construction works.
- Monitor Roads and Bridge construction and upgrading carried out by the regions.
- Check and ensure that the as built drawings are prepared properly.
- Ensure Quality Assurance Procedures are followed for all road and bridge construction and upgrading civil works.
- Assist in preparing and updating of standard bridge and road rehabilitation, upgrading and construction procedures.
- Supervise the assigned tasks of the senior engineers.
- Check and approve classification of road construction contractors and maintain a register.
- Provide technical support to District and Community Councils for road development on consultancy basis.
- Determine and make recommendations to the Director General on the need to declare road reserves and building restrictions along any road and to declare corridors for road network development as selected areas.
- Manage and monitor contracts for of all roads and bridges construction and upgrading projects
- Assist in preparing strategic road network development plans.
- Approve a suitable place on land from which to source material such as quarry necessary for construction and maintenance of roads and request a relevant authority to set aside such land for that purpose.
- Ensure that all Bridge Construction, Rehabilitation and Maintenance works are properly executed and supervised in respect of quantity, quality and financial.
2. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Ensure that the annual budget estimates for all works in his/her section are prepared and reviewed by the prescribed time and to make the necessary requests for the appropriate budget allocations.
- Monitor the expenditures in the division against the relevant budget to ensure that no excess expenditures are permitted to occur. If additional budget appropriations are required, ensure that the applications are made at the appropriate time and ensure that the yearly budget is effectively utilised and avoid incurring large expenditures in the closing months of the year.
- Ensure that any revenues under his/her control arising from Directorate operations in the division are fully recovered and deposited in accordance with Government procedures.
3. PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Ensures that the execution of all works and all other operations of his section are carried out in accordance with the Rules and Regulations of the Directorate.
- Monitor physical progress against time and cost and avoid cost and time overruns.
- Ensures that all reports and other information required from the section and its subsidiary units are completed accurately in the required formats and are submitted to the Divisional Director in time.
- Makes inspections of field works at least once a quarter. The results of these visits will be recorded on the prescribed pro-forma.
- Liaises with other senior staff of the Roads Directorate in order to ensure good performance.
4. HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Have technical and administrative control over the personnel in his Section and to be responsible for the proper functioning and discipline of his section and in cases of default he is to recommend to the Divisional Director for disciplinary proceedings to be instigated against the concerned personnel.
- Advise and assist in the training Roads Directorate staff. This activity should be undertaken in close collaboration with the Roads Directorate Training Centre.
A University Degree in Civil Engineering, a Post Graduate degree in Highway Engineering or Transportation or Construction / Project Management would be an added advantage.
The applicant should have at least eight (8) years experience in management of civil engineering works and services, three (3) of these years should be in field of assignment.
Other Skills and Personal Attributes Required:
Good verbal and written communication; good negotiation skills; knowledge of the legal framework in which the government operates; performance management skills; knowledge of technical standards, project management and contract specifications; and human resource and financial management and computer literacy skills.
Roads Directorate Head office
Opposite Browns Cash and Carry
Tel: (+266) 52229000
Tel :(+266) 2222 9000
Roads Directorate Head office
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 194
Industrial Area, Maseru 100
NB: The closing date for the submission of applications is 12th April, 2017. No late applications will be accepted. Only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.