Purpose of the Job
Reporting to the General Manager – Property Development and Management (GM-PDM), the job purpose is to be responsible for sound property management for development of terms of reference, contract scope, financial monitoring, control of contracts ensuring health, safety, environmental and quality compliance within specified budget and time schedules.
Term of contract
Permanent and pensionable terms of employment.
The successful candidate will be accountable for the following functions:
- Draws implementation and operational plans of projects supporting Strategic Business Plan of the Business unit
- Leads, plans, trains and supervises the work of contracts and construction staff responsible for designs, construction, environmental and quality assurance outcomes; validates work of assigned employees for accuracy, appropriate work methods, techniques, and compliance.
- Performs advanced contract and management work in connection with industrial park projects, and co-ordination with service utilities and local authorities.
- Manages planning of projects and ensuring that they are programmed, financed and resourced adequately for completion within time, specifications and quality prescriptions
- Ensures that identified projects support strategic plan and operational requirements of the Corporation, and adheres to project budget and schedule
- Ensures appropriateness of designed engineering solutions, and review variety of construction plans, maps, reports, applications, various developments and construction agreements
- Manages preparations of terms of reference, scope of work, tender conditions, specifications in print and diagrammatic form as applicable in construction industry
- Maintains accurate breakdown of project tasks and sub-tasks and appropriate allocation of resources for efficient and effective implementation.
- Selects contract forms and template suitable for strategy and goals, while taking cognisance of scope complexities and quantum
- Oversees preparation of internal planning programmes, commensurate project performance costs, resource schedule, and utilisation to inform budgeting
- Manages and evaluates, organises and priorities work within overall project schedules
- Manages and plans, schedules, assigns and reviews field and office work on all construction projects and contracts to ensure adequate preparation, supervision and monitoring.
- Interpretation of contract provisions, underlying contract law fundamentals, and attributable rights.
- Management of proper accounting record on construction project tasks to ensure they meet project and contract requirements.
- Manages timely drafting and issuing for reporting, all relevant and appropriate documentation and correspondence at all stages of project implementation
- Review for approval and payment, certified work by consultants and contractors.
- Evaluates and ensures that justifications for contractual variation resulting in scope reduction or increase are maintained to support subsequent commercial determinations
- Conducts technical investigations and assessment studies as appropriate to support motivations for identification, implementation or closure of projects;
- Prepares project implementation closeout reports;
- Provides leadership in promotion of health, safety and environment, procedures and best practice, ensuring compliance with procedures and legal obligations
- Devises training plans for appropriate training and mentoring, and professional development of junior employees
- Maintains continuous quality audit files of projects and production reports of the same
- Ensures adherence to deadlines;
- Assists General Manager with Development and Review of internal operational procedures and guidelines to ensure implementation of acceptable construction and contract standards
Knowledge, skills and behavioural attributes
- Extensive experience in managing projects within infrastructure and building environment
- Good working knowledge of contract conditions, legal framework for town planning, engagement of service utilities, design management, programme and risk management and costs control including forecasting, actual cost and value reporting
- Knowledge of New Engineer Contract (NEC), International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC), World Bank and African Development Bank Forms of Contracts, etc.
- Experience of MS Project Management, and other MS Office Suite of applications
- Experience of pre-qualification and tendering process for multi-discipline projects
- Excellent people management skills with ability to influence, mentor and motivate reports.
- Problem solving skills and analytical thinking
- Understanding of key commercial risks and areas for opportunity and able to lead project risk review and process and assessments.
- Appropriate negotiation skills to secure favourable outcomes, and possess the flexibility to understand and negotiate alternative contractual and commercial positions
- Ability to evaluate potential hurdles, assess and evaluate progress against schedule as well as identify disruptions and motivate compensatory measures.
- Presentation skills.
- Developing Operational Plans
- Planning and Budgeting
- Performance Management
- Quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily operational planning and implementation plans
- Direction operations
- Monitoring operations
- Coaching and instructions in operations
- Procuring consultancies, contractors and supervising studies
- Producing technical reports, plans, and studies
- Managing assists and resources
- Supervising and disciplining staff
Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering Construction or similar. Driver’s Licence – Code B.
Five (5) years total experience, three (3) years in contract management
Remuneration and Benefits
The Corporation offers a competitive remuneration package for the position.
How To Apply:
Interested, suitably qualified and experienced candidates should email their applications accompanied by educational certificates and transcripts to [email protected]. Closing date is Friday 19th March 2021 at 12 noon.
To apply, candidates MUST download and fill an application form accessible on the Corporation’s website: www.lndc.org.ls.
Enquires: [email protected] ,or (+266 2231 2012)
Disclaimer: Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The Corporation reserves a right to appoint suitable candidates that meet application requirements. No late applications will be accepted
All applicants who had previously applied for these positions are encouraged to do reapply as the old applications will not be considered.