Communications Associate G6 (121931)
WFP Lesotho seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.ABOUT WFP
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor of Communications/mass media/ international relations or related field
Experience : At least 5 years work experience in communications/ corporate affairs/public relations positionORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
Under the immediate supervision of the Project Coordinator and overall guidance of WFP Programme Policy Officer (Nutrition) as well as Lesotho Meterological Services (LMS) technical officersJOB PURPOSE
To provide research and specialised communications services that support the creation of content and services aimed at maintaining and enhancing Adapttion Fund Project’s visibility and reputation and supporting fundraising activities.KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Mapping of partners to identify strategic partnerships to help in the implementation of the Communication strategy
- Train media Houses, journalists and editors and other relevant entities on the developed media tool kits
- Draft and edit communications copy (e.g. press releases, publications, social media posts)
- Train key project partners on awareness raising strategy
- Support and rollout the district action plans on communications and social behavioural change
- Facilitate community awareness sessions through dialogue, trainings, campaigns, including community mobilisation related activities
- Follow-up and report on the development of the action-oriented research programme for tertiary institutions
- Develop targeted press kits on climate change, food security and nutrition in Lesotho
- Compile and submit project progress report on monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Prepare and distribute information products such as news release, brochures, infographics and briefing packages to donors, public and private stakeholders and other target audiences
- Maintain contact with journalists and media outlets, manage the flow of information with the media about Adaptation fund work, monitor and analyze mainstream media coverage of AF project
- Organize field visits to project sites of external missions of donors, government counterparts, media and document activities with audio-visual productions
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Media and Influencer Relationship Management||Demonstrates ability to respond to and/or escalate needs of media and influencers within own scope of responsibility to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims.|
|Media and Communication Expertise||Collates accurate and timely information presented in required format (i.e. written or visual materials) as well as verbally, to enable information flows and informed decision making on communications issues.|
|Specialised Knowledge in Communications||Exhibits specalised technical knowledge of communications channels processes, tools and techniques. In immediate area of responsibility, provides support in developing written, visual, audio and multi-media content for communications materials and suggestions for improved communications processes.|
|Sociopolitical Contextual Understanding||Shows awareness of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which informs approach to daily tasks.|
|Communication Strategy and Planning||Demonstrates sound understanding of WFP communications strategy and effectively implements tailored media and communications plans which support the delivery of the strategy.|
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific jobDESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has demonstrated a sound understanding of WFP communication techniques and activities and awareness of the socio-political context in which WFP operates through day to day work
• Has provided ad-hoc guidance to new staff membersTERMS AND CONDITIONSDEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for submission is 27 May 2020