NOTE: THIS POSITION IS CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING APPROVAL BY THE DONOR
A Child Helpline Specialist will work with the Ministry of Social Development (MoSD) to strengthen effective implementation and oversee the operations of the Child Helpline. The position will work with the Ministry of Social Development from Year 2 on managing the Child Helpline. The position will work with MoSD on strategies to ensure a smooth transition of the Child Helpline to MoSD by year 5 of KB. The Child Helpline Specialist will manage ten (10) CRS Child Helpline Social Workers to ensure service provision through telephone counselling is conducted with high quality. The position will also coordinate training for the Social Workers; oversee referrals from the Child Helpline to ensure completion; facilitate linkages between the Child Helpline and other interventions within KB mostly for service provision where applicable and in alignment with case management; and provide ongoing mentoring/support. Training will be organized in collaboration with Childline South Africa through Childline Free State. Oversee referrals from the Child Helpline to ensure completion of referrals for face to face interventions with callers where relevant. S/he will work closely with KB MEAL for analysis and reporting of calls and referrals.
- To oversee the day-to-day duties of the staff and running the project
- To stand-by for emergencies and attend to crisis referred by the Child Helpline Social Workers
- To ensure and strengthen the capacity of staff
- Sensitise the community, staff, children, referral and projected allies as outlined in concept note on Childline Lesotho
- To assist and report any concerns about situations for appropriate actions to be taken
- To advocate for children’s rights and child abuse
- To run joint campaigns with external bodies on children’s issues
- To attend local, regional and international meetings/workshops
- Build profitable working relationship with relevant stake holders
- Uphold stewardship in the utilization of resources
- To compile and submit reports
Internal and External Partners
- Referral bodies as outlined in concept note on Child Help Line- Lesotho
- Projected allies as outlined in concept note on Child Help Line-Lesotho
- Liaise with development partners
- Account to the OVC Technical Lead through:
- Provision of a weekly and monthly plan.
- Reports on the weekly and monthly plans
- Informing the OVC Technical Lead on issues that are successful or impeding the implementation of the Child Helpline function.
- Attending supervisory session as per agreement with the OVC Technical Lead
- Attending collaborative meetings both formal and ad hoc
- Participation in evaluative meetings to inform quarterly or semi-annual and annual reporting.
Experience and Requirements
- Degree in Social Work
- 5 year’s work relevant social work experience with either international development programs, or the public sector such as the MoSD, or other appropriate Ministry.
- Knowledge of Child Helpline interventions specifically case management
- Strong competence in collaboration, integration, capacity building, facilitation and research
- Knowledge of working in a team
- Knowledge of program design requirements and regulations of major donors.
- Strong English writing skills.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, knowledge-sharing networks.
- Good relationship skills with ability to work collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary and multicultural teams
- Strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking capacity and skills
- Good writing skills
- Strong data collection and research skills and ability to interpret and analyse data
- Proactive, resourceful, and results-oriented
- Willingness and ability to travel to the operational areas on frequent basis as project demands.
Required Languages – English and Sesotho fluency required
Travel Required (Willingness to travel 10% or more to field locations)
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: Child Helpline Social Workers
Internal: CRS Technical Lead OVC, Other OVC program staff; Operations Staff
External: Director of Child Protection and other Ministry personal implementing partner staff; Government of Lesotho officials; Systems Strengthening Community of Practice and other NGOs
Please note that the position is only open to applicants who are Citizens of Lesotho. Interested Basotho candidates should submit their CV and cover letter indicating salary expectations, no later than 30th SEPTEMBER 2020 at 17:00 by email to [email protected] with the subject line: CHILD HELPLINE SPECIALIST CRS LS. If the subject line does not indicate the position, the applicant will not be considered. HARD COPY APPLICATIONS NOT ACCEPTED. ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please be advised that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, all successful candidates will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and their personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate their behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.