DEPARTMENT: CHILD GRANTS PROGRAMME/SOCIAL ASSISTANCE
JOB TITLE: STATISTICIAN
No. OF POSTS: 1
RESPONSIBLE TO: NISSA MANAGER
1.1 Job Summary:
A Statistician is needed to provide overall statistical capacity to the National Information System for Social Assistance (NISSA) Unit of the Ministry of Social Development. She/he will provide support to all issues pertaining to data management and data quality of NISSA; a single national registry for social assistance, in order to ensure among others, the statistical integrity of the NISSA Database and application of the Proxi-Means Test formula. She/he will be the lead official in collaborating with BOS to ensure that all data collection methodologies conform to National Statistical Guidelines as set by BOS and ensuring that PMT formula is in line with national data collection guidelines. The incumbent will ensure professional standards in training for data collection, data entry, data analysis and use. She/he will play a central role in development of all manuals involved in all process that make NISSA life cycle and ensure that all field procedure follow best practices. She/he will supervise and/or collaborate with service providers engaged by MOSD (or its collaborating partners) to implement any NISSA related assignment.
2.1 Main Duties:
- Ensuring the design and maintenance of the NISSA form to follow national and international statistical definitions and concepts;
- Ensuring integrity in the application of the PMT formula including maintaining the validity of the formula with the BoS data collection exercise on which it is based;
- Ensuring professional standards in the training and training manuals for field staff involved in data collection;
- Ensuring field procedures follow best practice and provide full coverage of all households in any given area;
- Ensuring the statistical integrity of the NISSA database;
- Producing and interpreting regular reports.
- Supervise and provide instructions for workers collecting and tabulating data
- Provide assistance in the development of NISSA Hub and providing help in use of stored data.
3.1 JOB SPECIFICATION
3.2 EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Among the technical skills the Statistician must possess are the following:
- At least 3 years of experience as Statistician engaged in Data Collection and Analysis, Project Management and Implementation
- Experience in the following fields is a plus: Social Assistance, Monitoring and Evaluation, Research
- Have at least a Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics or related field with 3 years’ experience OR Degree in Statistics, Economics or related field with 5 years’ experience
- Possess strong mathematical skills
- Have strong conceptual, analytical and reasoning skills
- Management skills in software such as Word, Excel, Power Point and other statistical related softwares
- Written and oral fluency in English and Sesotho
3.2.1 The following personal competences are highly desirable:
- Ability to communicate appropriately with stakeholders and staff involved in the SSN implementation process to elicit reliable information
- Ability to manage and lead staff for the successful completion of designated tasks, excellent people management and teamwork skills
- Ability to resolve potential conflicts between the various actors of the programme.
- Good interpersonal and communicative skills (oral and written)
- Ability to interact constructively with officials at all government levels
- Ability to maintain an understanding attitude and set an example of rigor in strict fulfilment of their own tasks
- Flexibility and creativity
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to understand the MIS operation and generate reports
HOW TO APPLY
NOTE: Chartered Institute Management Accountants (CIMA), Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accounting (CIPFA), Chartered Institutes of Secretaries (CIS), Chartered Public Accountants (CPA) and Association of Certified Chartered Accountants are accounting qualifications that should be recognized while recruiting.
All other accounting qualifications should be subjected to LIA for accreditation.
All candidates who apply for position at Grade H level and above will be subjected to assessment process as per Public Service Regulations of 2008- Division III section 24 (1).
All applications should be on relevant forms, GP 104 for serving officers, and GP 103 for job seekers, accompanied by certified copies of Educational Certificates, Marriage Certificates for married women, Transcripts, Performance Appraisals (for serving officers), Landlines or mobile phones for contacts.
Application forms are available at Ministry of Social Development — Human Resources Office and should be hand delivered to the same office.
The Principal Secretary
Ministry of Social Development
3rd Floor, Pension Fund House
Private Bag A222
Closing date 10th August, 2018