Position N°: 50093743
Publication date: 03-Dec-2019
Closing date: 16-Dec-2019
Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s) have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization. The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa. The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The role of the Infrastructure and Urban Development Directorate is to foster advancement of infrastructure and cities in Africa by detailed development of appropriate interventions which the Bank might finance on a regional, national or a continent-wide basis.
The Specialist is responsible for the Bank’s vision for Road Safety.
The purpose of the position is as follows:
• To act as the Bank’s principal expert on Road Safety
• To strengthen and maintain the Bank’s understanding of Road Safety and its role in the development of the continent
• To advise on future investments on Road Safety by the Bank and its regional member countries (RMCs)
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, the Chief will perform the following duties:
Road Safety Strategy
- Lead, devise, maintain and revise the Road Safety Strategy of the Bank in
consultation with internal stakeholders and taking into account the long-term road safety trends in the continent’s Transport & Logistics development;
- Ensure the appropriate implementation of the strategy through communication and advise to
all relevant stakeholders in the Bank, particularly operations functions, and define a
- Identify and develop any necessary policies to underpin the strategy;
- Consult as necessary with external partners, Regional, and non-Regional Member Countries on the form and efficacy of the strategy.
- Work with other specialists in the Transport & Logistic Division.
Urban Planning Knowledge
- Manage a team of consultants to develop and maintain the Bank’s expertise on Road Safety to support the development goals of the Bank and the continent;
- Devise the Bank’s contribution to key Road Safety themes and represent the Bank at global, regional and national conferences and workshops on Road Safety;
- Coordinate and work alongside key partners, such as other Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs), the United Nations organizations, African Union Commission (AUC) and Africa Transport Policy Program (SSATP) to design Road Safety programs and solutions in line with SDGs and other initiatives;
- Publish major studies and reports on Road Safety, taking into account the comparative advantage that the Bank can bring to bear to any specific subject or theme.Convene associated workshops and media events to solidify the learning across Africa;|
- Develop and maintain, in collaboration with partners, publications and road safety information, both African and global, to support proper analysis of the impact of the road safety development in Africa;
Road Safety Expertise Advice
- Act as a focal point for providing technical advice to Regional Member Countries on Road Safety and lead dialogue with governments in advancing institutional reforms, building human and financing capacities for sustainable road safety in Africa;
- Lead the development of Technical Assistance programs to provide cutting edge advice on Road Safety policy, strategy and the choice of focus areas and interventions towards creating sustainable systems;
- Provide expertise support to operations staff based in the regions on the development and implementation of road safety interventions and ensure that appropriate coordination of actions in supporting clients during the project procurement, execution and monitoring phase;
- Provide direct support to operations staff in the field, particularly, on safety consideration of Bank financed road projects, giving adequate insights on the impacts of road safety audit and the benefits for incorporating it in the upstream during project development stages;
- Identify appropriate Road Safety training for internal and external stakeholders.
Manage and achieve demanding KPIs on Road Safety;
- Develop and safeguard the Bank’s brand as a source of Road safety knowledge for Africa
by detailing the quality of output expected from the Division and ensuring that it is attained;
- At least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Road Safety or a Master’s degree in Transport Engineering, Highway Engineering, Civil Engineering, Transport Planning or related discipline with specialized Road Safety trainings;
- At least 7 years of experience in Road Safety with proven ability to work in the Transport Sector at Multi-lateral Financial Institutions with sound experience in developing countries;
- Planning and Organizing: Establishes a systematic course of action for self and others in order to accomplish objectives; determines priorities and allocates resources effectively;
- Strategic Thinking: Technical and strategic thinker to evaluate critical matters in broad spectrum and provide policy and strategic advice on effective interventions;
- Analytical: Knowledge and skills on Road Safety to identify and analysis complex information to provide recommendations towards operationally relevant solutions;
- Client orientation: Ensures that the client is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank;
- Communication: Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience;
- Highly developed technical and strategic knowledge and skills on Road safety to analyse historical data and asses road safety management system and practices to provide cutting edge policy and strategic advice identify and design road safety interventions;
- An ability to make sense of complexity and to express this simply both in writing and orally;
- Effective consultation and advisory skills coupled with a client orientation to ensure relevancy;
- Range of inter-personal skills and an ability to vary the use of them according to the audience;
- Ability to lead a team of specialists and to take forward projects, often in collaboration with other partners;
- Attention to detail to create quality output and to set standards for the team;
- Mentoring to develop skills within the team and to improve the quality of output and outcomes;
- Ability to manage and mobilize resources and allocate Budget and resources to achieve results;
- Ability to articulate clear objectives, set ambitious but achievable targets and monitor execution and results;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other; and
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and preferably SAP.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.