Who Are You?
You’re a highly experienced legal professional passionate about the implications of blockchain technologies on the legal system. You thrive at navigating complex legal challenges and enjoy providing not only advice but solutions. You’re prepared to get hands-on, but also have experience leading teams and managing associates. You believe the legal function at a startup should remain lean and agile.
You enjoy a remote work environment that is fast-paced, and you help create an amazing, positive workplace. You enjoy working with a diverse group of people and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
What Do We Need?
- We’re looking for an experienced Chief Legal Officer to lead the Status legal department.
- You’ll work closely with Status’ Founders, Team Leads, and our existing Legal Operations Specialist to provide practical and well-informed advice and solutions – in response to complex and rapidly changing conditions and regulatory landscape.
- You’ll help to shape our future legal strategy and help us navigate the diverse global legal challenges faced by our research and development of blockchain and peer-to-peer technologies.
- Shape and lead Status’ future legal strategy.
- Research and provide legal steering on Status’ worldwide business plans, projects, and product launches.
- Help to manage the entire legal team, including our excellent Legal Ops specialist, along with any future Associates.
- Provide solutions with an emphasis on speed and agility, and aid in developing processes suitable for a software startup.
- Take the lead on corporate law matters, and contribute to Status’s corporate legal structuring.
- Be responsible for all legal needs and requirements of Status, calling in specialist external law firms as needed, and manage the relationships we already have with a number of outside counsels.
- Draft, negotiate and execute commercial agreements with service providers, partners, and contractors.
- Analyze and identify legal and regulatory risks and implications and help Status meet its compliance obligations.
- Take the lead on contractor/employment compliance across a highly distributed workforce spanning many jurisdictions.
- Answer internal as well as external legal and regulatory requests.
- Oversee the management and organization of all legal documentation.
- Implement and maintain relevant policies and procedures.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
You ideally will have:
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role!]
- A strong alignment to our principles
- An advanced legal qualification.
- Working experience in an international, dynamic legal environment.
- Working experience in a startup environment.
- A firm grasp on the blockchain regulatory climate.
- The ability to identify and resolve legal issues quickly and pragmatically while maintaining the highest standards of compliance.
- Excellent communication, organizational and analytical skills.
- Experience in working remotely and asynchronously.
Bonus points if:
- You have a passion for blockchain technology.
- You’ve worked for an open-source organization or tech startup previously.
- You are a direct and pragmatic advisor with a knack for avoiding unnecessary legalese.
- Work with some of the most passionate & dedicated minds in the Ethereum space.
- We ask that you’re willing to be paid in a combination of fiat and cryptocurrency.
- We’ll reward you with a competitive base salary.
- We’ll also reward you with SNT (Status Network Tokens) to give you a real stake in the success of the organization.
- A generous budget (€2000 Euros) to choose whichever laptop you prefer.
- We provide a small allowance (up to €250 Euros per month) to rent a co-working space.
- Work from wherever you choose. Our contributors are a varied bunch – some work from home, co-working space, a local cafe, others are digital nomads.
- We operate an open vacation policy, meaning there are no hard limits or strict rules around how much holiday you take and how you schedule it.
- We want our contributors to be healthy and take the time they need to relax and enjoy quality disconnected time away from work.
- We offer all contributors a Headspace subscription.
- Each team has a travel budget to attend conferences & team meet-ups of their choice.
- Once per year the whole organization gets together to connect (so far we’ve visited Istanbul, Bangkok, Prague to name a few).
Note: We don’t offer traditional benefits like medical/dental insurance – we’d rather pay you well and give you the freedom to select your own benefits, on your terms.
- As a team, Status is completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 85+ core contributors strong and welcomes a growing number of community members scattered all around the globe.
- We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has a minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.