- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Make your mark setting up our new, intelligent mine
- Access to industry-leading technical development programmes
- Join an encouraging leadership group, committed to your growth and development
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Development Chemist to design, direct and analyse applied chemistry research, plans and conducts work that requires judgment in the independent evaluation, selection and adaptation / modification of techniques and procedures
We are an open, connected international team of technical specialists using some of the most exciting data and tools on the planet. We are the world leader in automation and smart mining. We have technical development programmes that are industry-leading and recognise the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills
Reporting to the Manager: Analytical Services and working in a diverse team within the Analytical department, you will be:
- Identify, review, evaluate and commission new technologies and instrumentation.
- Design, scope, plan and execute analytical development projects.
- Identify needs, develop new techniques and offer support to other functions.
- Provide theoretical chemistry, mineralogical and analytical advice and solutions.
- Conduct project presentations to highlight potential impact of the method to the business and educate stakeholders.
- Conduct scientific presentations at conferences.
- Keep abreast with new instrumentation, analysis techniques and developments in data processing and interpretation.
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team (standard for all job adverts)
- College/University Education: BSc Degree in Chemistry/ BTech in Analytical Chemistry
- Post graduate qualification (advantageous)
- ISO9001, ISO17025 & GLP Certification
- 5 years’ minimum experience in a Lab environment.
- 3 years proven experience in developing and implementing analytical programs for XRF, Spark OES, ICP, XRD, and Carbon & Sulphur Analyzer (incl. Leco).
- 3 years’ experience in a Mining / Metallurgical Lab.
- Experience in Wet Chemical environment.
- Sound knowledge of statistical evaluation techniques
- Licenses/Certifications: EB License
What we offer
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience
- Annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Wellbeing benefits
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental, etc)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
Certified as a Top Employer for 4 consecutive years, located in the Kwa-Zulu Natal province, Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) is part of the Rio Tinto Group and is an internationally recognized sand mining and mineral processing operations leader and one of the world’s foremost producers of titanium minerals, high purity pig iron and zircon. We have implemented a sound corporate social development program and an internationally recognized environmental rehabilitation program to restore the mined dunes to their natural state once mining operations have ceased.
Every Voice Matters
RBM is an equal opportunity employer and preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups in line with the company’s employment equity plan.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.