Application Deadline: February 1st 2021
The Next Generation Social Sciences in Africa program, launched in 2011, responds to an emerging dilemma within higher education in the global South caused by the extraordinary emphasis on increasing undergraduate enrollment without proportionate investment in faculty development, limiting the ability of universities to produce the next generation of researchers, faculty, technocrats, and leaders.
The program currently operates to strengthen tertiary education in Africa by offering a sequence of fellowship opportunities for promising PhD students to undertake research and make steady progress toward completion of the doctoral degree and one post-doctoral fellowship:
The program also offers activities that nurture the intellectual development of its fellows by connecting them to one another to create a pipeline for the development of faculty and research communities working on peace, security, and development topics across the continent.
All candidates must:
- be citizens of and reside in a sub-Saharan African country
- hold a master’s degree
- be enrolled in a PhD program at an accredited university in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda
- have an approved dissertation research proposal
- The doctoral dissertation research fellowship supports research costs of up to US$15,000 on a topic related to peace, security, and development.
- The doctoral dissertation proposal fellowship supports short-term research costs of up to US$3,000 to develop a doctoral dissertation proposal.
- The doctoral dissertation completion fellowship supports a one-year leave from teaching responsibilities and a stipend up to US$15,000 to permit the completion of a dissertation that advances research on peace, security, and development topics.
- Post-doctoral Writing Fellowship supports up to six months of completing an article or book manuscript through a stipend of up to US$3,000.
Duration of Fellowship:
- Fellowships are offered each year. The doctoral dissertation research fellowship is about 6-12 months
For More Information: