- Provide technical support to the Bioinformatics users (including software and workflow support, development and/or customization of user scripts and effective communication with stakeholders) to ensure effective usage of compute platforms;
- Compile and maintain a wide variety of software and libraries (for compilers, MPI libraries, Python, R, Perl and Bioinformatics specific software) on the CHPC compute systems;
- Test and benchmark Bioinformatics applications software to determine optimum set-up and efficient use at the CHPC with the aim to advise users on best practices in making use of the software;
- Support data intensive Bioinformatics research programs and cloud-based Bioinformatics applications of users.
- Work together with other staff members in implementing user support projects that can assist the development of the Centre;
- Provide support, implement and/or participate in activities across all regions of South Africa, and possibly other overseas countries, depending on the need;
- Participate in the human capital development initiatives and trainings to the benefit the users and the broader scientific community;
- Develop and optimise methods to pursue Bioinformatics applications research.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An Honours degree in computer science with at least two years’ experience in supporting Bioinformatics and application software in an HPC environment;
- A Master’s degree in bioinformatics or equivalent qualification will be advantageous;
- Experience in the following would be advantageous:
- Maintaining python software (pip install, conda, etc.);
- Maintaining R software (package.install);
- GNU modules;
- Database management;
- Development of cloud-based applications and support.
- Demonstrated experience and practical knowledge in working with and maintaining a range of open-source Bioinformatics applications software in an HPC environment;
- Demonstrated experience in scientific programming with codes such as python/C/C++/Fortran;
- Demonstrated experience in parallel and HPC computing;
- Thorough knowledge of and skills in a Linux/Unix in an HPC environment are essential;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written);
- Technical report writing skills
- Continue to develop and upgrade personal skills and competencies to meet stakeholder requirements as well as participate in company initiated employee development/improvement activities.
Closing date: 23 July 2019
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at [email protected]
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.