Bellroy is a for-purpose, carry goods business that is growing at a rapid rate. Our technology team provide the tools and know-how to sustain and magnify that growth.
We need a back-end developer to hone our fulfillment, analytics and data warehousing systems so we can continually improve the awesomeness of our customer experience. We’re transitioning to a headless e-commerce architecture to make our systems more maintainable, flexible and robust, and we’d like your help. You will play a key role in determining how Bellroy’s technical stack looks like in the future.
At some companies we observe a familiar and depressing pattern: the most technically excellent developers hit a ceiling beyond which they can’t progress unless they start taking on direct “reports”, and becoming “managers”. Given no other options they launch themselves down this path. As they progress they spend less and less time doing the thing that they love (crafting excellent code) while they learn a completely different craft — management — and spend more and more time dealing with people and their problems. At Bellroy we love the people who want to make that transition, but we don’t think that it should be the only way to progress your career, and we make sure that we have a technical stream that allows people to keep getting better at programming.
You will initially work closely with our marketplace, logistics and data teams. You will grow an innovative yet stable platform and make critical decisions about where to use third party solutions and where to build our own. In the medium term, you will gain experience building and honing systems across all parts of our business. So, if you have strong technical skills, a growth mindset and the ability to get shit done, then this could be the job for you.
Historically, we built most of our web applications in Ruby on Rails with PostgreSQL and Redis backends, so you must have at least a working understanding of that technology stack. But – we’re re-assessing our technical stack, so you will have opportunities to learn and master new programming languages and frameworks (we’re excited about, but not committed to, Haskell, Go and Rust, among others). We use the dry-rb family of gems to keep our Rails applications nice and clean.
A quick note: We’re currently advertising a number of roles, so if this one doesn’t quite tick all of your boxes, check out our Senior Technical Lead and Senior Team Lead roles, and if the job you really wish we were advertising is some combination of the advertised roles, apply anyway. As part of your application tell us what you’re really looking for.
YOU COULD BE THE ONE, IF YOU…
- Have a solid technical background in Ruby on Rails, but recognise that it has limitations
- Have a passion for understanding non-technical parts of the business and how they can leverage technology to boost their efficiency
- Consistently deliver high quality code with strong, well-researched design principles
- Want to have a voice in technology selection and architecture
- Get excited about great books and the ideas you can steal from them – technical and non-technical books alike
- Think a workplace with dogs, coffee, breakout spaces and casual dresscode sounds like a great place to be; or prefer working from wherever you are (yes, that’s right, this role is open to remote folk too)
- Want to work for a company that cares about doing good things for the world
YOU PROBABLY AREN’T THE ONE, IF YOU…
- Want to be delivered a list of software requirements, and never have to have a conversation with a ‘non-techie’
- Work just to pay the bills, no matter who is paying you
WHY WORK FOR BELLROY?
We have carefully built our culture on radical effectiveness. Our credo is “smart people with good intentions who get shit done” (yes, really). We have an awesome workplace in the heart of Fitzroy with free snacks and coffee (and a smaller workspace in Bells Beach).
Bellroy’s mission is to inspire better ways to carry; use business as a force for good; and help the world – and our crew – flourish. We make great carry products that delight people in their everyday lives. We help our staff love their work and grow as people. We donate a portion of our revenue to some of the world’s most effective charities. We are constantly looking for better ways to do… well, everything. Want to help us?
LOCATION AND HOURS
This can be a full-time role located in our Fitzroy office, or a full-time remote position from anywhere in the world. That’s up to you.
Start Day: We’re ready when you are!