KARABO EA BOPHELO at Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Lesotho
The Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Lesotho (BCMCFL), is the result of a public-private partnership between Baylor College of Medicine International Paediatric AIDS Initiative (BIPAI) and the Government of Lesotho, and is a legal, non-profit/tax exempt organization registered in Lesotho. BCMCFL provides free paediatric and family-centred HIV and tuberculosis prevention, care, treatment and support, serving thousands of children and families affected by HIV, TB, or other child health conditions. Karabo ea Bophelo (KB) is a five-year USAID-funded activity to prevent new HIV infections and reduce vulnerability among orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in Lesotho. All positions are based in Maseru, Lesotho on full-time, fixed term contracts.
AUDIT & COMPLIANCE MANAGER
The Audit & Compliance Manager will be responsible for the evaluation of Karabo ea Bophelo (KB)’s internal controls over financial reporting, Donor compliance and business operations in order to ensure the efficiency and adequacy of KB’s control environment. This position will report to the Chief of Party Administratively with functional reporting to the Foundation’s Executive Director and full access to the Foundation’s Board of Directors (particularly the Board Chair and/or Sub Committee of Finance/Audit/Compliance)
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Provides expert advice and guidance to the team to manage risk and ensure full compliance with USAID regulations, BCMFL policies and Lesotho country laws
- Promotes a project-wide culture of risk management compliance through staff training, ongoing reviews of project systems and procedures, and pro-active identification of potential risk and compliance-related issues
- Conducts quality assurance (routine reviews and spot checks) of important project documentation, including monthly reports, major procurements, partner and vendor payment requests and tracking risk and compliance issues and making written recommendations to project leadership and key managers for improvements to project procedures
- Provides guidance to Chief of Party and senior management team to achieve balance between requirement for rapid implementation and minimizing potential financial, reputational and audit risks
- Leads the development and roll out of compliance tools such as: quick compliance reference guides, check lists, and related materials – working with project leadership, managers, and other staff members to better ensure efficiency and reduce compliance risks
- Serves as an independent advisor to recommend compliant approaches to sub-award management
- Mentors staff in the detection of potential irregularities in procurement and sub-award processes and overall fraud prevention techniques. Works with project staff to develop and institute processes to better ensure compliance
- Undertakes periodic reviews to assess the effectiveness of the project’s compliance practice with applicable regulations and BCMCFL policies and identifies areas for improvement; provides written report of findings and recommendations for corrective actions
- Playing an active role in the maintenance and review of policies and procedures, including ensuring they are up to date with all Donor regulations, Lesotho legislation and best practices
- Liaise with external auditors and duly assist in ensuring project audit readiness at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following or related fields preferred: Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Auditing or related field. MBA or other relevant graduate degree a plus
- Membership of a Professional Internal Auditing and/or Accounting body
- 5 years of relevant experience required in program operations, financial management, contracts & grants administration, program management, compliance, or relevant business experience
- Experience with USAID required; experience with other international donors and agencies is a plus
- Experience interacting frequently with remote project offices and field-based organizations is required
- Demonstrated experience performing operations reviews and analyses of budget vs. actual expenditures is required
- Excellent understanding and intimate familiarity with U.S. government regulations
- Strong overall management acumen and ability to align governance, risk and control requirements with the realities of the organization’s work environment
- Proven computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Excellent organizational, time management, prioritization skills, and attention to detail are required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of the advertised positions.
Quality of work as indicated by achievement of specific outputs detailed in the individual work plan.
Interested candidates must email applications, including CV and cover letter to [email protected] on or before Friday, 20th March 2020. Please quote the position applying for on the subject matter. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Citizens and residents of Lesotho are strongly encouraged to apply.