Position: Assistant Resident Engineer (ARE)
Function: Construction & Pavements
PRIMARY POSITION PURPOSE
SMEC South Africa has exciting opportunities in their Lesotho, Construction & Pavements function. This function, specializing in pavement and rehabilitation design, materials investigation and design, and construction supervision and administration, prides itself on technical excellence. This position is responsible for the below-mentioned elements of the construction works on a large road construction project under their responsibility and will be required to provide assistance to the Resident Engineer (RE).
The Assistant Resident Engineer (ARE) will be responsible for the following elements of the construction works under his/her responsibility:
- Assisting with Contract Administration as required by the RE for this project;
- Reviewing the construction drawings and managing the processes of dealing with Contractor queries by liaising with the designers through the required communication lines, as required by the RE;
- Inspection of the works and test results for quality control, and reporting back to the RE;
- Assisting with preparing and updating estimates to completion;
- Maintaining records of site administration and communication in terms of SMEC’s quality management system and Construction Manual;
- Attending and contributing to taking minutes at technical and site meetings, as required;
- Liaison with contractors as required;
- Monitoring of quality of works;
- Assisting with measurements on site and compilation of monthly payment certificates;
- Monitoring of programme as required;
- Assisting with the preparation of variation orders;
- Assisting with closing out projects including compiling completion/closeout reports;
RECOMMENDED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- He/she shall hold as a minimum a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with 12 to 15 years’ experience in road and construction projects.
- He/she must be fluent in spoken and written English.
- An experienced engineer is sought for this position as this candidate may later be required to take over the responsibilities of the Resident Engineer towards the latter stage of the construction.
Suitable candidates can submit their CVs to email@example.com
Closing date: Friday, 31 March 2023