DEPARTMENT : ADMINISTRATION
JOB TITLE : ASSISTANT FINANCE MANAGER
NO. OF POSITIONS : ONE (1)
RESPONSIBLE TO : DIRECTOR FINANCE
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Under the general supervision of Director Finance, the incumbent is responsible for facilitating revenue collection and prompt payment for goods received and services rendered.
1. To facilitate implementation of Financial laws, policies, guidelines, systems procedures and standards
1.1 Interprets financial laws, policies, guidelines, systems, procedures and standards.
1.2 Trains accounting staff on financial laws, policies, guidelines, systems, procedures and standards.
1.3 Compiles the training report.
1.4 Evaluates the effectiveness of training.
2. To review payment vouchers against set procedures and standards
2.1 Reviews supporting documents to confirm completeness.
2.2 Confirms payment is charged to correct vote.
2.3 Posts and submits examined vouchers to an authorising officer.
3. To facilitate management of official receipts
3.1 Monitors use of receipts.
3.2 Accounts for receipts.
4. To provide custody and control of accountable documents
4.1 Implements set standards and procedures for safeguarding accountable documents.
4.2 Controls usage of accountable documents.
4.3 Maintains stock levels and distributes accountable documents.
5. To facilitate collection and banking of revenue and trust monies
5.1 Supervises the banking of revenue and trust monies collected.
5.2 Posts collections into the system.
5.3 Posts bank transfers to update cash account in the system.
5.4 Compiles monthly reports on collections against budget.
6. To reconcile revenue bank accounts
6.1 Obtains bank statements.
6.2 Matches bank statements to deposit slips.
6.3 Matches posted transactions to bank statement,
6.4 Posts adjustments in the system to correct errors.
6.5 Produces reconciliation reports.
7. To prepare financial statements and reports
7.1 Compiles monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reports then submits for review.
8. To supervise staff
8.1 Formulates and implements sectional annual operational plan.
8.2 Coordinates development of individual work plans.
8.3 Monitors implementation of sectional operational plans.
7.4 Conducts annual performance appraisals on individual supervisees to assess their performance against the set standards and to identify training and development needs.
8.5 Coordinates training of accounting staff.
8.6 Compiles sectional budget.
8.7 Supervises staff to ensure that work is done according to plan.
8.8 Disciplines staff under his/her supervision.
Education and Training
Chartered Accountant/Master’s Degree in Accounting/Financial Management plus three (3) years’ working experience at a middle management level in an accounting environment.
General Accountant plus a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management or related graduate degree plus four (4) years’ working experience at a middle management level in an accounting environment.
General Accountant plus seven (7) years working experience at a middle management level in an accounting environment.
Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce/Accounting and Finance plus eight (8) years’ working experience at a middle management level in an accounting environment.
The incumbent must be a member of a recognized professional accounting or finance body.
Other Relevant Knowledge
• Knowledge of Public Sector Accounting is an added advantage.
• Familiarity with the Public Finance and Accountability Act, 2011 and related regulations is an added advantage.
• Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Practice, especially the International Public Sector Accounting Standards or International Financial Reporting Standards, is essential.
• Computer literacy is a must.
• Familiarity with IFMIS operations or any computerized accounting system is an added advantage.
• Ability to work with colleagues from varying backgrounds.
• Strong analytical, problem solving and conceptual skills.
• Solution and results focused.
• Ability to work under pressure and deliver results within strict deadlines.
• Attention to details and time conscious.
Applicants must pass a competency assessment test.
ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED.
Applications on relevant forms of G.P 104 for serving officers and GP 103 for job seekers duly accompanied by completed appraisal forms coupled with certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, should be sent to:
The Principal Secretary
Ministry of Police and Public Safety
P.O. Box 866
They can be hand delivered to Human Resource Office, Ministry of Police and Public Safety, Avani Maseru – Office Block, Room 721 or 730 not later than 16th OCTOBER, 2020.