KARABO EA BOPHELO at Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Lesotho
The Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Lesotho (BCMCFL), is the result of a public-private partnership between Baylor College of Medicine International Paediatric AIDS Initiative (BIPAI) and the Government of Lesotho, and is a legal, non-profit/tax exempt organization registered in Lesotho. BCMCFL provides free paediatric and family-centred HIV and tuberculosis prevention, care, treatment and support, serving thousands of children and families affected by HIV, TB, or other child health conditions. Karabo ea Bophelo (KB) is a five-year USAID-funded activity to prevent new HIV infections and reduce vulnerability among orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in Lesotho. All positions are based in Maseru, Lesotho on full-time, fixed term contracts.
ASSISTANT DATA SCIENTIST
Reporting to the Data Scientist, the Assistant Data Scientist will manage data from various sources into the program’s information system for processing, management and reporting. He/she will efficiently manage a large amount of data that is often sensitive or confidential. Ensuring data quality and integrity:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take the lead role in the development, maintenance and management of the information systems
- Preparing and sorting documents for data entry
- Entering data into database software and checking to ensure the accuracy of the data that has been inputted
- Resolving discrepancies in information and obtaining further information for incomplete documents
- Creating data backups as part of a contingency plan
- Responding to information requests from authorized members
- Testing new database systems and software updates
- Devise and utilize algorithms and models to mine big data stores, perform data and error analysis to improve models, and clean and validate data for uniformity and accuracy
- Analyze data for trends and patterns, and Interpret data with a clear objective in mind
- Implement analytical models into production.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and Required Skills:
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Sciences/Statistics
- 2+ years’ experience in data science
- Comfort working in a dynamic, research-oriented group with several ongoing concurrent projects
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of the advertised positions.
Quality of work as indicated by achievement of specific outputs detailed in the individual work plan.
Interested candidates must email applications, including CV and cover letter to [email protected] on or before Friday, 20th March 2020. Please quote the position applying for on the subject matter. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Citizens and residents of Lesotho are strongly encouraged to apply.