MINISTRY : AGRICULTURE AND FOOD SECURITY
DEPARTMENT : FIELD SERVICES
JOB TITLE : AREA TECHNICAL OFFICER (MECHANIZATION)
GRADE : E
RESPONSIBLE TO : AREA EXTENSION OFFICER
LOCATION : CROPS
UNDER THE GENERAL SUPERVISION OF AREA EXTENSION OFFICER, THE INCUMBENT WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR IMPROVEMENT OF AGRICULTURAL MACHINERY MANAGEMENT; IMPROVEMENT OF AGRICULTURAL MACHINERY PRODUCTIVITY; AND MAINTAINING AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENTS.
- IMPROVEMENT OF AGRICULTURAL MACHINERY MANAGEMENT
1.1 Train farmers on agricultural machinery charges to guide them to use economic charges for various operations.
1.2 Develops training programmes on procurement and replacement of Agric machinery for machinery owners to ensure increased productivity agricultural machinery.
1.3 Trains farm machinery operators on performance standards and specifications on machinery selection to ensure the highest possible productivity.
1.4 Trains the farm operators on selection of size and type of drought power source so as to facilitate the design of appropriate agricultural machinery system.
- IMPROVEMENT OF AGRICULTURAL MACHINERY PRODUCTIVITY
- Liaises with other technical staff in conducting demonstrations on the utilization of agricultural machinery to ensure its effective and efficient utilization.
2.2 Liaises with District Agricultural Engineer on the assessment of and procurement of agricultural machinery parts for effective and efficient maintenance.
- Liaises with relevant stakeholders on the availability of spare parts and technical experts for service and maintenance of different makes of tractors and animal drawn implements.
3. REPAIRING AND MAINTAING AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENTS.
- Assesses spare parts required to carry-out repairs and maintenance and advises the store man for appropriate procurement.
- Checks that all spare parts dispatched to the workshop as per cards are duly used for their specified purpose for accountability.
- Rationalizes and allocates machinery to ensure adequate distribution and service hence delivery of service to the farming community.
- Compiles list of breakdowns in the districts for repairs and maintenance.
- Diploma in Agricultural Mechanization / Mechanization Related Field
– Certificate in Agriculture Mechanization
Three years (3) working experience for Certificate holders in Agricultural Mechanization
- Other necessary knowledge and skills
- Computer literacy
- Leadership skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Extension methods skills
- Technical reporting and writing skills
- Training skills