MINISTRY : AGRICULTURE & FOOD SECURITY
DEPARTMENT : FIELD SERVICES
SECTION : RESOURCE CENTER
TITLE : AREA TECHNICAL OFFICER (IRRIGATION)
GRADE : E
LOCATION : MOKHOTLONG, LERIBE & MASERU
UNDER THE GENERAL SUPERVISION OF AREA EXTENSION OFFICER, THE INCUMBENT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR FACILITATION OF IDENTIFICATION AND PRIORITISATION OF COMMUNITY PROBLEMS THROUGH ALC; DEVELOPMENT OF COMMUNITY ACTION PLAN; FACILITATION OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF COMMUNITY ACTION PLAN; INFORMATION DISSEMINATION; PREPARATION OF SUB-SECTIONAL BUDGET, COORDINATION OF SUB-SECTIONAL ACTIVITIES.
- FACILITATION OF IDENTIFICATION AND PRIORITISATION OF COMMUNITY PROBLEMS THROUGH ALC.
1.1 Conducts campaigns pertaining to specific irrigation issues to create public awareness.
1.2 Guides the community in identifying their own problems to provide a basis for their own development programmes.
1.3 Guides the communities in prioritising their problems to give focus to their efforts.
1.4 Guides the communities in analysing their prioritised problems so as to identify the underlying causes to their problems.
- DEVELOPMENT OF COMMUNITY ACTION PLAN
- Provides information on irrigation techniques to assist the community in finding solutions to their problems.
- Guides the development of the community action plan in order to define roles, responsibilities and targets.
- FACILITATION OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF COMMUNITY
- Creates awareness on the importance of irrigation in the designated area to enhance agricultural productivity.
- Advises farmers on simple irrigation methods for learning-by-doing in order to identify the best solution to the problems.
- Trains farmers on appropriate irrigation techniques as identified by them in their community action plan to improve their skills.
- Conducts study tours and farmer-to-farmer visits to expose them to new and different irrigation methods and ideas.
- Guides the community to monitor and evaluate their progress in implementation of their action plan to ensure that they learn from their experiences in the designated area.
- DEVELOPMENT OF IRRIGATION SYSTEMS
- Guides the community in identifying the appropriate site for the sustainable irrigation system,
- Surveys the identified site to facilitate systems designs,
- Develops topographic maps to design the system appropriate for the proposed area to detail.
- Provides guidance in the acquisition of appropriate irrigation equipment for the specified and recommended irrigation methods to facilitate implementation of the planned activities.
- Provides technical expertise on the installation of the system to ensure that there are no deviations from the set specifications and standards.
- Guides in the testing of the system to ensure that it operates accordingly.
- Conducts on site demonstrations on the proper operation of the system and precautionary measures to be taken for its sustainability.
- INFORMATION DISSEMINATION
- Trains systems owners on proper use, care and maintenance of the system for its prolonged lifespan.
- Develops simplified operation manuals for ease of reference for the system owner.
6. PREPARATION OF THE SECTIONAL BUDGET
- Negotiates and justifies the
horticultural crop research budget at the divisional budget discussions in
order to secure the necessary funds to finance sectional activities.
- Recommends the review of the sectional budget to the divisional head whenever the need arises to realign it with the changes in the sectional business plan to facilitate the implementation of the critical programs and activities within the section.
- . COORDINATION OF SUB SECTIONAL ACTIVITIES
7.1 Liaises with other sub-sectional heads within and outside the resource centre to solicit support in the implementation of crops activities.
- Convenes monthly meetings with sub-centre heads for
planning and reporting in order to ensure integrated implementation of crops
- Liaises with stakeholders to sensitise them on sub-sectoral developments to facilitate consistency, mutual support and synchronic implementation of crops programmes.
- Diploma in General Agriculture/ Irrigation Related Field
- Certificate in General Agriculture/ Irrigation Related Field
Three years (3) working experience for Certificate holders in Agriculture related field.