The Legal, Risk and Compliance Manager manages risks of various types to ensure minimum loss of financial capital. He/She liaises closely with the Chairperson of Audit and Risk Committee, members of the Executive Committee and all internal stake-holders about legal and risk related matters. He/She also liaises with external organizations and stakeholders to reduce risk impact on Boliba Savings and Credit (BSC).
On a proactive basis the incumbent should identify, document and assess the compliance and risk appetite of the Cooperative.
The position is on a 2-year term contract renewable upon good performance.
Relevant legal qualifications, LLB, CA or MBA will be an added advantage.
At least five (5) years’ experience in similar role ideally within the corporate and banking sectors
- Create, implement, administer and enforce policies, procedures and laws required for Boliba Multipurpose Cooperative (BMC) to operate in accordance with the laws and regulations.
- Identify and assess the main compliance risk issues facing the cooperative and the plans to manage them. Such plans should address any shortfalls on policies and procedures.
- Drafting and negotiating all forms of contracts including but not limited to those related to customers and suppliers of BMC.
- Advising on general business law issues and managing legal issues including cooperative matters, procurement, health and safety and governance.
- Dealing with data protection and privacy matters of the Cooperative.
- Keep up to date with, and understand, relevant laws and regulations, monitor compliance with laws, regulations and internal policies.
- Report to the BMC Management Committee or any BMC Board Committee on the Cooperative’s management of its compliance risk, in such a manner as to assist Board Members to make an informed judgment on whether the cooperative is managing its compliance risk effectively.
- Undertake training of employees on not only the legal requirements but also the impact on the cooperative’s non-compliance with corporate governance.
- Review marketing materials, presentations and websites to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Assist in the gathering of internal information in response to regulatory requests
- Collaborate with other departments to create a culture of compliance.
- Acting as Complaints Handling Officer for all complaints made against the cooperative, its members and/or its staff.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable domestic law and regulations.
- Ensuring compliance with AML requirements; in particular, account activity reviews and investigations to identify unusual and suspicious patterns (increasingly involves detection software).
- Ensuring compliance with the Cooperative’s internal policies, including adequate knowledge of them and documenting compliance.
- Ensuring compliance with ethics policy and implementation of whistle-blowing procedures.
- Responding to regulatory findings, deficiencies and violations, in conjunction with the Internal and External Audits.
- Monitoring resolution of consumer complaints.
- Overseeing fraud investigations involving customer accounts and recovery of funds, and coordinating investigations with appropriate internal resources and external investigation and enforcement officials.
- Maintaining effectively documented compliance and security programs.
Overseeing the records retention program.
He/she will meet the deadlines at all times, and shall be prepared to work beyond normal office hours and business days. He/she shall also be able to work independently and free from direct supervision.
He/she shall be answerable to The General Manager. He/she shall otherwise be expected to have direct working relationship with other divisional and technical managers of the Cooperative.
Interested candidates for above position should submit their application letters together with detailed CV’s, certified copies of academic qualifications and 3 references to;
The Human Resource Officer
Boliba Savings and Credit
Or emailed to: [email protected]
The closing date for applications is Friday 22 October 2021. If we do not respond to your applications by 30 October 2021, please consider your application unsuccessful