The Directorate of Dispute Prevention and Resolution (DDPR) is a statutory body established in terms of the Labour Code (Amendment) Act 2000. A public institution whose operations are overseen by the Industrial Relations Council (IRC). Its main functions are to prevent and speedily resolve trade disputes through conciliation and/or arbitration and to advise the employers, employees or their organisations, on the prevention of trade disputes at source.
The Directorate invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for One (1) position of ARBITRATOR, tenable at either Maseru, Maputsoe or Mafeteng.
The Arbitrator shall be answerable to the Director in the performance of the following duties and responsibilities
(1) Prevention and Resolution of trade disputes through conciliation and arbitration (Con-Arb);
(2) Speedy resolution of the referred disputes and timely issuance of the arbitral awards
(3) Advising Employers and Employees or the Trade Unions and Employers’ Organisations, on the best ways of the prevention of trade disputes;
(4) Compiling and publishing information about DDPR activities; statistics on dispute prevention and resolution; and significant arbitration awards;
(5) Conducting research about the new developments in labour law and labour relations;
(6) Issuance of monthly performance reports and timely submission to the Director.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• LLB Degree with Post Graduate Diploma in Labour Law (Conciliation and Arbitration) and at least Five (5) Years working experience
• LLB Degree and at least eight (8) years working experience in either conflict management, litigation or dispute resolution
Ability to act independently, impartially and fairly; ability to manage conciliation and arbitration proceedings;
knowledge of the applicable Labour Laws and an understanding of the Labour Relations system and processes;
Computer literacy; writing and command skills and fluency in both Sesotho and English.
A valid Driver’s License is required.
Interested candidates should hand deliver their written applications with CV and two references in sealed envelopes to:
Industrial Relations Council,
8th Floor Post Office Building,
Private Bag A160, Maseru 100.
Closing date for receiving applications shall be 24th September 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.