MAIN JOB PURPOSE:
Unilever is on target to achieve the huge ambition to double the size of its global business, whilst doing what is right for consumers, community and the environment. To remain on track, we must reach the right people and the right number of people as a priority by creating robust strategies that enable holistic channel planning and facilitate authentic and relevant brand communications.
The Media Team is critical to creating value from media investment through innovation, creativity, collaboration, strategic development and flawless execution of plans.
The Digital Media Manager is responsible for the development of the digital media strategy in the market, driving strategy execution, delivering maximum ROMI, driving breakthrough innovation and ensuring functional excellence. Collaboration with media agencies and internal stakeholders is critical to managing the media value chain and landing communication plans.
The role includes assisting in overall management of the media chain with direct responsibility for tracking, evaluating and managing media agencies’ digital outputs. The role also includes direct engagement with media owners to scout for new ideas on media innovation and media deals.
The role reports into the Global Media Function via the Africa Media Director and is a business partner for Marketing Directors/Local VPs.
- Advise on all digital media to internal stakeholders through depth of media knowledge, providing expertise on specific channels and by explaining complex information in an easily digestible way.
- Collaboration skills that encourage multi-stakeholder projects to thrive.
- Good understanding of internal stakeholders to solve problems and deliver holistic marketing experiences.
- Strong analytical skills to define, interpret and respond to data insights.
- Outstanding communication skills to focus stakeholders and embed best practices.
- Ensure that markets have a clear digital media strategy in line with the Global Media Strategy and collaborate with agencies to resolve any issues.
- Advise global/cluster media teams and country marketing teams to enable an appropriate digital media vision and strategy in the market.
- Leverage internal and external partners to develop digital media/channel strategies towards driving brand, category and business growth:
- o Collaborating with agencies on development of media strategies and programmes.
- o Supporting Brands by serving as an internal digital media expert.
- o Collaborating with Internal Support functions, e.g. DMS, eComm, Shopper to deliver holistic marketing experiences. Collaboration in Digital Hubs (key markets) is vital.
- o Manage and cultivate relationships with key media partners.
- Problem-solve with brands:
- o Convince brands to explore first-to-market opportunities when strategically aligned.
- o Help brands understand digital media basics+ by supporting new-to-role staff.
- o Provide counsel on agency Ways of Working (WOW).
- Represent the Media Centre of Excellence by:
- o Deploying world class media plans that deliver against brand objective and goals through collaboration with agencies.
- o Demonstrating leadership in innovation initiatives within key strategic growth areas, e.g. mobiles.
- o Drive ROMI and best practice by partnering with CMI and third-party resources to drive efforts on media optimisation.
- o Build effective programmes with Strategic Partners.
- Support delivery of the overall business/marketing plans against goals set at VP or Director level.
- Lead development and execution of digital ideas, furthering brand engagement and conversations with consumers.
- Manage day-to-day and operational issues with channel agency partners, ensuring staff are up-to-date on digital developments and have the information they need.
- Africa – local specifics:
- The role covers all Sub-Saharan Africa, which Unilever divides into Western, Eastern and Southern Africa. A key task is to “raise the digital ceiling” in South Africa, while “raising the digital floor” in other markets.
- Most Unilever key markets now feature a Digital Hub. These cross-functional teams drive Data-Driven, Precision and Performance Marketing. Integrating the Digital Media Team with the Hubs or providing a light version of the Hub service in smaller markets, is a central part of the role.
- As digitisation accelerates, written role descriptions cannot do justice to the evolution of the role. In the past 2 years many Digital Managers have pivoted into Data-Driven Marketing, eCommerce, Social Commerce, live streaming and so forth. Successful candidates should anticipate and embrace constant change.
- 3 – 7 years’ experience in digital media or marketing.
- Strong evidence of all job skills required for the role.
- Background with Media Partner or in media, marketing or digital Agency preferred.
- Measure of success:
- Delivery of digital initiatives that enhance media/channel strategy effectiveness and maximize ROMI.
- Breakthrough innovation in media/channel strategy via execution of big ideas that generate high ‘talkability’ and engagement.
- Flawless execution of digital media/channel strategy.
- Delivery of functional excellence and strong management of digital media/channel strategy value chain across all key channel partners.
- Create measurable value for digital media investment within the country.
Unilever is an equal opportunities employer and committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. We are intentional in employing the best talent that reflect the demographics of our country. We therefore invite applications from all candidates representing diversity of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. When appointing potential candidates, the South African Employment Equity and Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment Legislation will be considered.
We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. If you are applying as a Foreign National, please note that you may be requested to provide supporting documents supporting this.
Please note: As part of the job application, you will be asked to complete a brief online application form. Completion of the form is required to be considered. Your application status should read “Application Completed”.
Please allow yourself enough time to complete the application form as when filled out partially or not at all it may adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the form at once as you will be unable to return to it later.