Based in the Journalism Department of the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, Africa Check seeks to appoint a
Impact Researcher (Full-time)
The Impact Researcher has a dual function: to track and analyse the circulation in online and public debate of the false and misleading claims identified by Africa Check’s fact-checking team; and, in liaison with the Impact Manager and the fact-checking team, engaging public figures and institutions who make the claims to seek a correction and a change in practice. The position, which reports to the Impact Manager, requires: a good understanding of and interest in public information and misinformation, good research and analytical skills and a firm but diplomatic approach to public affairs. Work will be carried out according to a regularly updated annual work-plan
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Tracking and analysing the circulation in online and public debate of false and misleading claims identified by our fact-checking team, and reporting back on this.
- Producing reports showing this research and analysing the impact fact-checking interventions have on the circulation of this misinformation.
- Producing case studies of the impact of cases of socially-harmful misinformation.
- Identifying the key sources promoting the socially-harmful misinformation and engaging with them to seek a correction and commitment to accuracy in future.
- Represent Africa Check on its principles, methodology and the work it does in public engagements.
- Assisting the Impact Manager in the wider work of impact research and reporting as required.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in the social sciences.
- A minimum of 3 years’ research experience, with strong data analysis skills, preferably in a policy environment. Experience in impact research would be an advantage.
- An enthusiasm for and understanding of the work of fact-checking, and curiosity and an interest in learning about a wide range of topics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to be challenging in a diplomatic manner.
- Ability to take initiative and responsibility for your work, and to solve problems
- Ability to work with a diverse team across the continent
- Knowledge of &/or willingness to learn French an advantage
Interested candidates should carefully read the requirements below (attention to detail is considered a job requirement) and submit a recent CV together with the names of two referees).
Submit your application on email: [email protected] using the following subject line: “Application for Impact Researcher position”
Closing date: Monday 20 March 2019