The Commonwealth Secretariat seeks to appoint an Adviser and Head, Electoral Support Section in our Governance and Peace (GPD) Directorate. The Governance and Peace Directorate (GPD) is the lead directorate in the Commonwealth Secretariat for the promotion of democracy and good governance in the Commonwealth. The directorate is responsible for programmes which foster greater adherence to Commonwealth political values, the conducting of fair, credible and inclusive elections and engagement with member countries through the Good offices of the Secretary General.
The Adviser and Head, Electoral Support Section is primarily responsible to lead the Division’s work programme to promote democratic values, practices and institutions in the Commonwealth. The job combines requirements for sound political judgement and sensitivity, effective management skills, organisational ability and the requirement to travel overseas as well, sometimes in challenging circumstances.
Responsibilities of the Adviser and Head, Electoral Support Section includes (but is not limited to):
- Implementing the Directorate’s democracy programmes;
- Coordinating the Commonwealth Secretariat’s broader activities to promote democracy;
- Representing the Secretariat external meetings involving intergovernmental and non-governmental organisations.
Please refer to the Job Description for full details of the responsibilities of this position.
To be considered, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Attained a post graduate degree or other advanced, post graduate qualification in a relevant subject, such as political science or international relations;
- At least ten years’ experience in the promotion of democracy and democratic assistance;
- Experience in an international context in managing and leading a diverse team involved in election management and/or observation would be highly desirable.
The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 54 member governments and provides guidance on policy making, technical assistance and advisory services to Commonwealth member countries. We support governments to help achieve sustainable, inclusive and equitable development.
To join us, you must be a citizen of a Commonwealth country.
The closing date is 04 December 2020, 17:00 GMT