Many things come into play for a successful job search. Among the many things we have REASONS behind the search. Without ever thinking about it, many people have ignored the underlying reasons for their job search.
Yet, undeniably, those reasons do influence the constraints that maybe faced by the job seeker.
In order to understand this area, it is necessary to first distinguish between types of job seekers. We are all aware, hopefully, that we have the interns, the newly graduated, those returning to work, those changing careers and those relocating. By the look of things, those within different categories, are likely to face different constraints.
So firstly, every seeker must find their place in the above categories. Then study the constraints that should be overcome specifically in that category.
Many job hunters fail because they’ve become jacks-of-all-traits. They’ve come to fight even those hindrances that have nothing to do with them and have no say in the stage they’re at in their career path.
According to The Saylor Foundation under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Licence, the following are reasons behind job hunting:
- Student- Looking for an internship: their reasons include gaining credit for a class or earn money for school; gain experience in anticipation of full-time job search; and converting the internship into a full-time job.
- Student- Graduating from school: theirs include creating a foundation for careers by gaining solid experience and developing skill; as well as becoming financially self-sufficient.
- Experienced candidate- returning from work: these professionals seek to close the gap in their employment history; catching up on current skills, expertise, and network; as well as creating financial stability.
- Experienced candidate- changing careers: the driving force is a desire to get a chance to try a different industry or function; find a role that transitions nicely from what one did before to what they will be doing going forward.
- Experienced candidate- relocating: the reason that will constrain the success of the hunt is getting into the desired location with little disruption to one’s career from the move.