The EU-ECOWAS Scholarship programme provides scholarships for masters’ degrees in the sustainable energy sector at specialised universities in West Africa (Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, Togo) for the benefit of eligible students from ECOWAS member states involved in the energy sector.
The programme aims to improve access to high-quality training in the sustainable energy sector in West Africa, enabling university graduates with a focus on young professionals (English, French and Portuguese speaking) in the ECOWAS member states to acquire the profile required to meet the growing demand for specialists at the highest level in the field of sustainable energy and to promote good governance of the sector in the region.
The EU-ECOWAS Scholarship application form collects responses from applicants who are interested to complete a master’s programme in the energy sector from shortlisted universities. The scholarship selection process will analyse the information collected through the application form against the following criteria:
- Be nationals of a member state of ECOWAS or Mauritania and being resident in ECOWAS’ region or Mauritania
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree with First Class or Second Class (Upper Division)
- Have undertaken studies at least at bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, energy and environment (including renewable energy and energy efficiency), law, economics, finance and planning as deemed by the entry requirements of the chosen university
- Work experience in the energy sector in West Africa will be an added advantage
- Hold (at least) provisional admission into an approved course of study at the time of scholarship approval
- Scholarship is open to working and non-working candidates. Working candidates are required to provide letter of release from their employer to complete the course for the duration of the programme
- Commitment to publish at least 1 practice-oriented research before the end of the programme
- Commitment to start internships within the course of study.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. If more candidates match the selection criteria than there are places available, they will be ranked according to the results of their last year of study and professional experience.
The two types of scholarships available on the programme are:
Scholars are selected to complete their master’s program in higher education institutions located outside their country of residence. The scholarship will provide funding for tuition, subsistence, travel, research grant, insurance and visa.
Scholars are selected to complete their master’s program in higher education institutions located in their country of residence. The scholarship will take care of scholars’ tuition and research grant. A small stipend to contribute towards travel and subsistence will also be provided.
Scholarships will be awarded on a limited number of best qualifying people, to meet budget restrictions. Applicants are encouraged to consider factors such as language, proximity, family, and opportunities for internship in your decision making when selecting your most preferred scholarship category.
Obafemi Awolowo University
- M.Sc. Energy Planning and Management
- M.Sc. Environmental Technology Management
- M.Sc. Electrical Power Engineering
- M.Sc. Energy Systems Science and Energy Systems Engineering
University of Nigeria Nsukka
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Renewable and New Energy Systems
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Power Engineering
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Sustainable Energy Materials Engineering
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Industrial Electronics and Power Devices
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Energy Policy, Regulation and Management
Universite Cheikh Anta Diop (UCAD)
- M.Sc. 2 Photovoltaic Systems and Materials (Master 2 de physique et applications, spécialité énergie solaire, matériaux et systèmes (SOLMATS)
Only students with a MASTER 1 in physics from a CAMES member university will be accepted by UCAD.
Universidade de Cabo Verde
- International Interuniversity Master’s program in Energy Decarbonisation
Successful applicants will be required to provide the following documents for validation:
- Identification cards such as an international passport or a national identity card
- Proof of residency in an ECOWAS country or Mauritania
- A copy of the provisional admission letter from a shortlisted university
- Academic transcripts or certificate obtained, and
- Any other documents to validate information provided in the application form.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the 2023 EU-ECOWAS Scholarships Programme