Summary of opportunity
Under our Tropical Rainforests programme, preference will be given to initiatives working to protect tropical rainforests for their value to the climate, communities and biodiversity, principally through avoided deforestation. We will consider both practical local projects, and strategic initiatives.
Applications for practical local projects that we will consider would typically be working on a specified tropical rainforest area, defined in hectares. We will generally only accept applications for the protection of areas larger than 10,000 hectares. Applicants will need to demonstrate how their project involves:
- Exposing, addressing and overcoming the local drivers of deforestation
- Management of the specified area
- Methods to measure and monitor the protected area
- Sustainable livelihoods for forest-dependent communities
Click here for examples of local projects we have funded through our Tropical Rainforests programme.
We will consider applications for strategic projects that are working on addressing the drivers of deforestation on a wider or international scale. These could include:
- Working on international or regional forest policy
- Campaigning for improved practices in commerce
- Innovative ways of reducing deforestation e.g. financial systems or solutions based on the value of forest ecosystem services
Click here for examples of strategic projects we have funded through our Tropical Rainforests programme.
How to apply
We don’t have an application form, so you are free to formulate your proposal as you wish. However, when applying to the Environment Fund, please follow these guidelines:
- Limit the proposal to approximately 2-3 sides of A4, and send it as an attachment to an email to [email protected]. Applications sent anywhere else will not be counted.
- State that you are applying under our Environment programme, and state which programme you are applying to – Marine or Tropical Rainforests. Please also let us know how you heard about this particular funding programme.
- Supply basic information on your organisation – name, address, aim, charitable status, annual income and expenditure, website address and contact details.
- Briefly describe the project or purpose for which you are seeking funding. You must outline how this meets the priorities of the programme you are applying to.
- Briefly outline the anticipated project outcomes and how these will be measured, including any post-implementation studies you plan to undertake.
- Please provide a brief outline of the need for this particular intervention. Do reference any statistics, data or research that you use as justification.
- Provide brief project details such as cost, timescales and activities. We don’t need to see the full project plan or budget at this stage.
- Provide evidence that your previous projects have led to successful outcomes and sustained impact.
Tropical Rainforests – The 2 deadlines for applications to our Tropical Rainforests programme fall on the following dates every year: 1st June – 1st December