MakeUseOf is a consumer technology website with 15 million monthly readers, mainly in the US, UK, and Canada. We’ve been teaching people how to make the best use of their digital tools since 2006.
Our team consists of tech enthusiasts from around the world. Many of us have been with MakeUseOf for 5-10+ years and have advanced from writers to editors and more. We pride ourselves in supporting our team members to become the best they can be.
Pay and Expectations
- We are looking for long-term freelance writer relationships.
- We expect a minimum of 8 articles of 1,000 to 1,300 words published per month.
- The pay is $90 per article or $120 with experience, e.g. if you’re currently writing for a reputable publication.
- Applicants with credentialed expertise are ideal (relevant college degree, certifications, past work experience, etc). However, we are open to accepting experienced writers who can grow into areas of expertise.
- Candidates must be proficient in WordPress and able to generate their own article ideas.
- While our writers aren’t locked into writing for any particular section of the site (except during the initial probationary period), we’re specifically looking for more coverage in the topics below.
- We’re recruiting writers with expertise in the following topics.
Relevant areas: Linux tutorials, Linux software, exploring and comparing distros and DEs, etc.
- 10 Reasons to Install an Arch Linux-based OS on Your PC
- How to Run Android Apps and Games on Linux
- How to Install Adobe Photoshop on Linux
Relevant areas: Explainers and tutorials about VPNs, malware, privacy, antivirus software, etc.
- How to Disable UEFI Secure Boot to Dual Boot Any System
- 5 Free Security Tools You Likely Haven’t Heard Of (But Should Install)
- 5 Types of Mobile Apps You Should Stop Installing
Relevant areas: Mac tutorials, troubleshooting, software, etc.
- Mac Shutting Down Randomly? Here’s What You Can Do
- 7 Tiny Time-Saving Mac Apps You’ll Fall in Love With
- 8 Best Microsoft Office Alternatives for Mac Users
Relevant areas: Programming tutorials, explaining programming concepts, comparing programming languages, etc.
- How Programming Affects Your Brain: 3 Big Truths According to Science
- How Much Money Do Programmers Make?
- A Beginner’s Guide to Understanding Python Lambda Functions
Relevant areas: Arduino, Raspberry Pi, other microcontrollers, hardware hacks, 3D printing, etc.
- How to Use an Android Tablet as a Screen for Raspberry Pi
- How to Build a Cheap Android PC With Inexpensive Parts
- The Pros and Cons of Building Your Own Linux PC
Relevant areas: Adobe products like Photoshop or Lightroom, but also photo, video, or music editing software and apps.
- How to Change the Background of a Photo in Photoshop
- The Best Free Music Production Software for Beginners
- The 7 Best Sites to Find Free InDesign Templates