Application Deadline: June 15, 2019 (23:59 your local time).
The Goi Peace Foundation/UNESCO International annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
This program is an
activity within the framework of the UNESCO Global Action Programme
(GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
“Creating a Society Full of Kindness”
What does “Kindness” mean to you? How do you think we can create a kinder society? Carry out ten acts of kindness, and then use your experience as inspiration in writing your essay (your essay does not need to be about your acts of kindness).
Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2019) in one of the following age categories: a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 – 25).
Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed
Entries submitted by postal mail must include a cover page indicating
(1) your name (2) category (Children or Youth) (3) age as of June 15, 2019 (4) gender (5) nationality (6) address (7) e-mail (8) phone number (9) school name (if applicable) (10) your essay title (11) language (12) word count (13) list of ten acts of kindness you performed (describe briefly).
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
* Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
*A cover page template is available to download. You may also create your own cover page with all items (1)-(13) above.
* The organizers are unable to confirm receipt of essays.
Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$920 as of January 2019) and gift … 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$460 as of January 2019) and gift … 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2019 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
* Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
* All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2019 (Japan time) on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2019.
* The organizers are unable to answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.
For further inquiries concerning the International Essay Contest for Young People, please contact [email protected]
Cover page template 2019 (WORD)
Essay Contest 2019 Flyer (PDF)
For More Information: