Technical sales engineers provide pre- and post-sales technical advice and support about products. As a technical sales engineer, you’ll assist colleagues with bids and tenders for new clients from a technical perspective.
The emphasis of the work varies depending on the level of technical knowledge needed to sell a particular product or service.
You’ll liaise regularly with other members of the sales team and colleagues from a range of departments, such as:
- senior company managers.
Employers of Technical Sales Engineers
- Telecommunications companies
- ICT Firms
- Electrical companies
- Electronics companies
- Manufacturing companies
- Chemical companies
- Biomedical suppliers
- Agricultural businesses
- Automotive businesses
- identifying and establishing new business
- organizing sales visits
- liaising with existing clients
- preparing tenders, proposals and quotations
- providing pre-sales and post-sales support
- negotiating contracts, terms and conditions
- reviewing cost and sales performance
- writing reports and sales literature
- providing product education and advice
- attending trade exhibitions, conferences and meetings
- ensuring that sales targets are met.
Entry requirements vary depending on the employer and the product or service they sell. Previous relevant experience gained in any commercial/sales area involving contact with customers or the general public is beneficial for all prospective candidates.
- a solid technical background
- sales skills
- communication skills
- sound judgement and good business sense
- organizational skills
- team-working capability
- the ability to build relationships quickly and effectively
- analytical and problem-solving skills
- resilience and tenacity
- independence and self-reliance.