A Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialist analyzes, reviews and implements changes to websites so they are optimized for search engines. This means maximizing the traffic to a site by improving page rank within search engines.
It is the job of the SEO specialist to make your website show up at the top of the search engine results.
- run pay-per-click (PPC) campaigns to increase revenue through sponsored online advertising;
- write original content for webpages – tailored for the target audience;
- make technical recommendations to developers;
- constantly check search terms, rankings and analytics to monitor performance of client websites and make recommendations for improvement;
- engage with other businesses (affiliates) over link-building opportunities, to bring in paid commission for driving customers to their websites;
- employ user experience (UX) and conversion rate optimization methods to turn visitors into more active users and to help improve website performance;
- community building – to drive targeted and loyal traffic to a website;
- use social media to distribute content and encourage more external sites to link to your content – giving you more authority;
- develop and integrate content marketing strategies;
- monitor the algorithms set by the search engines to keep up to date with changes.
This area of work is open to all graduates but a degree in a related area such as IT, business and technology or marketing may be particularly useful.
- a genuine interest in SEO and/or digital marketing;
- evidence of a strong personal online profile, e.g. a blog, website or connections and interactions on various social media platforms;
- a commitment to keeping your technical skills and knowledge up to date;
- an inquisitive mind which drives you to understand Google’s algorithms and predict what changes might be coming;
- a good understanding of search engines;
- an ability to understand social media platforms and how to use them to distribute content, gain more links and build successful campaigns;
- a good understanding of PR and how to get the right messages out there;
- an understanding of how customers search, where they search and why they purchase something online;
- a good understanding of the wider marketing context;
- strong analytical skills for understanding ranking algorithms;
- excellent communication skills to educate, inform, manipulate and mediate across a number of stakeholders in an organization;
- proficiency in Microsoft Office and an excellent knowledge of Excel;
- some experience and knowledge of web-hosting.