Production managers are responsible for the technical management, supervision and control of industrial production processes.
As a production manager, you’ll be involved with the planning, coordination and control of manufacturing processes. You’ll make sure goods and services are produced efficiently and that the correct amount is produced at the right cost and level of quality.
The job is also referred to as operations manager.
Employers of production managers
Food manufacturing and processing companies employ the majority of production managers.
Most graduates begin their career as a trainee or in a junior post such as a production supervisor, material planner or in inventory control.
- planning and organizing production schedules
- assessing project and resource requirements
- estimating, negotiating and agreeing budgets and timescales with clients and managers
- ensuring that health and safety regulations are met
- determining quality control standards
- overseeing production processes
- re-negotiating timescales or schedules as necessary
- selecting, ordering and purchasing materials
- organizing the repair and routine maintenance of production equipment
- liaising with buyers and marketing and sales staff
- supervising the work of junior staff
- organizing relevant training sessions
A diploma or degree in the following subjects may increase your chances of securing a job:
- electrical and electronic engineering;
- food science/technology;
- materials science/technology;
- mechanical engineering;
- process engineering;
- planning and organization skills to be able run and monitor the production process;
- the ability to act decisively and solve staff or equipment-related problems;
- the capacity to grasp concepts easily;
- ICT literacy to deal with various technologies and programmes;
- attention to detail to ensure high levels of quality;
- the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively with your team, managers and clients;
- strong negotiation skills for getting materials within budget and at the right time;
- the ability to work under pressure and motivate others to meet tight deadlines;
- the ability to work in a logical, systematic manner.