Estate agents oversee the acquisition and disposal of properties. They look at the property’s condition and compare it with others in the area to value it and get the best price for the client. They also market the property and negotiate on deals.
Commercial estate agents deal with a wide range of business properties including offices, shops, leisure facilities, hotels and restaurants. Rural estate agents specialise in land and rural businesses. Sales can also take place via auction.
Estate agents often have to liaise with banks, building societies, mortgage brokers, surveyors, solicitors and other estate agencies during transactions.
Types of estate agents
You will usually specialize in one area of estate agency, such as:
- residential sales agent
- residential lettings agent
- commercial sales agent
- commercial lettings agent
- rural estate agent.
- Liaising with clients to market properties in the most appropriate manner to maximise the selling value
- Handling enquiries about properties from potential buyers
- Valuing properties
- Producing reports, brochures, promotional information and other written material
- Travelling to properties and conducting viewings
- Negotiating the sale and letting of properties
- Administering and securing the disposal and acquisition of property and ensuring that it is completed legally
There are no formal entry requirements for an estate agent, although some experience of customer service work and an interest in the local property market may be advantageous. A degree or taking a foundational course in any of the following subjects may give you advantage:
- business-related studies
- civil and structural engineering
- estate management
- property development/management
- urban and land studies.
- skills in negotiation and persuasion to win clients and achieve success in deals
- a confident and outgoing manner to gain trust and give reassurance
- commercial awareness and the ability to achieve sales targets
- excellent communication skills for liaising with different professional contacts
- customer service focus to keep clients happy
- determination, perseverance and patience
- an understanding of marketing techniques to help market the properties
- IT skills.